I WAS HACKED

MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
2025-10-02T21:02:22.38+00:00

Last month I was hacked several times. While reading an article on Yahoo my desktop screen was taken over by pop ups. Also displayed was the Microsoft logo and a phone number to call. There was also a voice saying that Windows had taken over my screen due to unsafe activies and that I should call the number on the screen. The woman who answered asked me some questions and told me to type in some letters on a black screen with white letters like a DOS screen. Finally this woman told me to shut off my computer and to unplug it from the wall, and then wait 15 minutes while they restored my PC. I fell for this hook line and sinker the first two times, but the third time when it happened I imediately shut off my PC and pulled the plug. After 30 minutes I tried logging on again and everything was back to normal.

I have an HP All-In-One 24 PC with Windows 11 and Google Chrome as my browser.

My question is: How do I stop this from happening again? Please advise.

Mark Montembeau

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author and recommended by moderator
BryceSor 5,510 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-10-03T00:39:08.4+00:00

Hi MARK MONTEMBEAU, CP (CoPilot) helped me write this so a few things to check or adjust to be safe. 🛡️ 1. Harden Chrome Against Pop-Ups and Redirects These scams often hijack your browser using malicious ads or redirects.

Open Chrome

Click the three dots (⋮) in the top-right corner → Settings

Go to Privacy and Security → Site Settings

Scroll to Pop-ups and redirects → Set to “Don’t allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects”

Also check Ads → Block ads on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads

🧼 2. Clear Out Suspicious Extensions Some scams install browser extensions that keep the pop-ups coming.

In Chrome, go to Settings → Extensions

Remove anything unfamiliar or unused

Restart Chrome after cleaning

🧰 3. Run a Full Malware Scan Even if things seem normal now, it’s wise to double-check.

Open Windows Security → Virus & threat protection

Click Scan options → Choose Full scan

🔒 4. Enable Enhanced Protection in Chrome This helps detect dangerous sites before they load.

Chrome Settings → Privacy and Security → Security

Choose Enhanced protection

🚫 5. Never Call Numbers from Pop-Ups Microsoft, Google, or HP will never display phone numbers in pop-ups or ask you to type commands into a black screen. If it happens again:

  • Don’t click anything
  • Don’t call any number
  • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager and end Chrome
  • Restart your PC normally

Report the scam to MS here https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/concern/scam I also use this ad blocker like uBlock Origin, but like CK has said you can use others but do your own research on them, sorry for the long list but worth going through in my eyes. Sorry if the page changes styles

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 20,005 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-10-13T20:37:23.4+00:00

Hi Mark,

Glad the Ad Blocker is working out.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

10 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
    2025-10-02T21:44:12.8633333+00:00

    Well shoot. It sounds like there is nothing I can do other than what I have already done. You would think in this day and age I would be able to block this from happening.

    Talk to you tomorrow if you reply to this.

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. CrazyKats 20,005 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-10-02T23:56:07.16+00:00

    One additional thing I would recommend

    is using an Ad Blocker. As an extension on Edge

    I use AdGuard, there are others available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
    2025-10-03T18:23:43.1066667+00:00

    Hi CrazyKats!

    Thanks! I don't use Edge but I just downloaded an Ad Blocker to my Chrome browser. Guess we'll see now if that works. If I do get hacked I will let you know here.

    Thanks again,

                       Mark
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.