Failed to verify the account using SMS with Error Code: 399287

Charlie Rojo 65 Reputation points
2025-09-16T14:15:29.7966667+00:00

Hi,

I have already raised a ticket (2509091420002402).

My old phone is defect and therefore I lost access to the email access and also to the Authenticator. I tried to set up a new phone, but I was asked to verify myself. Of course the authenticator method doesn't work. Outlook method also doesn't work. Therefore I only had SMS as the method, but using SMS, there is an error:

Error Code: 399287

Request Id: <Removed PII> Correlation Id: <Removed PII> Timestamp: 2025-09-15T07:03:56Z Flag sign-in errors for review: Enable flagging If you plan on getting help for this problem, enable flagging and try to reproduce the error within 20 minutes. Flagged events make diagnostics available and are raised to admin attention.

Even though my phone number is correct and I have used this method many times in the past. It failed. And I was prompted to reset my password, I did - which I should not have done, because with resetting my password, I still cannot access my email on the phone, and I also lost access on my computer... Now I'm completely blocked outside of my emails...

A side note, I cannot access my website host to add a TXT record, either, because it's also bound to my business email address, without access to my email I cannot log into the hosting backend.

How can I verify myself?

Now it's already been about a week and I still cannot access my Microsoft 365 business account. It's very frustrating because every time I have to go through the AI call agent to get to talk to a person, and this person would tell me that "today you will be contacted and get this solved", no progress, and my business activities are dependant on this email account...

So, please help urgently! @Anonymous

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

Answer accepted by question author
Raja Pothuraju 47,835 Reputation points Microsoft Employee Moderator
2025-09-16T14:43:57.91+00:00

Hello Charlie Rojo,

Thank you for sharing your details via private message.

I’ve reached out to the engineering team regarding the MFA issue on your account. They have now unblocked it from the backend and cleared the bad reputation associated with it. You should be able to log in to the Azure Portal without any issues.

Please try signing in and verify if you can complete SMS authentication successfully. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

As a best practice, I recommend registering the Microsoft Authenticator method for your account instead of relying on SMS. SMS and voice call authentication methods are more vulnerable to IRSF attacks (telephony fraud) and are generally less secure.

For better practice, I recommend registering with Microsoft Authenticator method to your account instead of SMS method as these SMS/Voice telecom auth methods are susceptible to IRSF attacks telephony fraud.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Was this answer helpful?


1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.