How to get back into Microsoft/xbox account

Jasmine Holgate 0 Reputation points
2025-08-25T18:25:43.1766667+00:00

I have an outlook account and have been travelling for 7 months and not used this. When I returned I had a new phone number and my old phone number was still on my account for verification. I updated security details by removing the number and adding my wife’s email address and had to wait 30 days for access. Despite this it has not update my details and I am still locked out of my Xbox and outlook account which needs to verify via my phone number. I have completed the locked out form several times and keeps saying I have not provided enough information despite it letting me on to change my password and update my security details which have clearly not gone through. I can’t contact anyone to help me and I even linked the account with my wife’s email and it’s still saying it needs verifying via my old number. I’ve asked several times for security information to be updated and no-one is helping me. I really need to get back into this account because I’ll lose everything linked to it which has been my Xbox account since I was a child. Please help

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Darhyl Amizola 50,090 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-08-26T18:38:19.7966667+00:00

    I appreciate the response. I'm afraid the Account Recovery Webform is the last and only way to recover the account.

    Unfortunately, if it doesn't work, the only option is to try submitting another form as accurately as possible.

    Best regards,

    Darhyl

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Darhyl Amizola 50,090 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-08-25T19:03:21.93+00:00

    Hey there! Nice to meet you!

    Based on your description, I highly recommend you submit a reinstatement form as a last resort:

    https://www.microsoft.com/concern/AccountReinstatement?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0

    (This is not an account recovery webform/ACSR)

    You may receive the results via email within 48 - 72 hours.

    If you haven't received a response to the reinstatement request you have submitted after 72 hours, please check your email inbox, junk, and spam folders in case you receive it there.

    If the account has been unlocked but you are still unable to access your account, your only option is through the Account Recovery Form: https://account.live.com/acsr

    Detailed steps on how to use the Account Recovery Form can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/office/b19c02d1-a782-dee6-93c3-dc8113b20c42

    Microsoft takes account security very seriously, that's why Account Recovery is an automated process with no human influence. If you don't have the correct information, you may not be able to get through account verification using the Recovery Form.

    The Account Recovery Form requires adequate information to prove that you are the owner of the account. The Account Recovery Process can be a time-consuming process, but providing as much info as possible from the start of the process will increase the possibility of being verified by the automated process. You'll need to keep trying until you're verified by Microsoft.

    Remember to use a familiar device from which you've frequently accessed your Microsoft account, as well as a familiar location. Microsoft will review your responses and respond within 24 hours. If you are verified, instructions on how to log back into your account will be sent to you, and if you are not verified, you will need to submit the Account Recovery form again. You can do this up to 2 times every 24 hours.

    It's important to note that Microsoft Support will not be able to grant you access to your account, you will be sent back to the Account Recovery pages that have been linked above.

    If your Microsoft account recovery request was not granted or was unsuccessful, please click the attached link for more information: https://support.microsoft.com/office/dc56c3e3-dff0-4ed5-8edb-60290eea6b53

    Thank you for your kindness and understanding! Please feel free to let me know if you need anything else.

    Best regards,

    Darhyl

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.