How can I change my security landline number to a cellphone number that can receive a code?

Aboriginals 40 Reputation points
2025-07-31T16:42:00.1166667+00:00

I want to change my landline phone number to my cellphone number so I can receive a code. I followed the info on Microsoft but I can't log in to security because it will only send the code to my landline on file to verify it's me. I've tried chat Ai and found it to be useless. Can anhyone help me?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 271.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-07-31T19:02:44.2166667+00:00

Hello,

On the page asking for code, look for an option like “Show more verification methods” to see if you have a backup (e.g., a phone number or alternate email).

If you don’t have access to any of the options listed, select “I don’t have any of these.” This will begin the recovery process. As part of that process, Microsoft will let you add new contact information — but only after a 30-day waiting period.

This 30-day delay is intentional. It’s a security safeguard designed to protect users in case someone else tries to hijack their account by changing recovery info. The wait gives the rightful owner time to notice and stop unauthorized changes.

Unfortunately, this policy cannot be bypassed. You can read more about it directly from Microsoft here:

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Aboriginals 40 Reputation points
    2025-07-31T19:46:16.87+00:00

    Emily, Thanks for responding. Beginning yesterday 12/30 my daily 4 digit passcode to open my computer stopped working. I got an error message (code:0X80284001) which asked me to set up a pin again. In order to do so and be verified I needed a code, but the code is set up for an old landline, and it can't be changed no matter how much I try. I want to add my cellphone to my account so I can receive a code. I've written and called Microsoft and have a chat thread, all without resolution. Can you help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Antonio Gomez 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-24T14:53:42.88+00:00

    I have the same problem than Emily's

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Antonio Gomez 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-24T14:58:02.5533333+00:00

    The 30 days waiting starts from today 3/24/26 ??????

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.