Copilot not generating useable download links

Will Davey 180 Reputation points
2025-07-30T12:18:32.7566667+00:00

Hi all,

Experiencing an issue with Copilot where when creating spreadsheets and documents, Copilot is not able to provide a working download link.

For example, if I ask it to create a Word document called "Test", it will reply saying that "the document "Test.docx" has been created and can be downloaded via the following link:", however there is no link, just plain text.

I have also tried asking for the URL of the download link and when pasting this into Edge, I just get a "This webpage can't be found" error message.

I hope someone is able to assist with this.

Thanks,

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | Feature

6 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. KennethCantor-3294 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T02:36:46.3633333+00:00

    Please be patient??? So the hours I spent working with Copilot to generate a PDF form and a Word form weren’t really to generate the forms it said it could give me but were really spent training Copilot for you??? What a joke.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Alex Mathe 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-17T09:47:15.6266667+00:00

    Hello,

    I may have found a solution regarding file generation, but it required a lot of testing.

    I created an agent in Copilot Studio to retrieve data from an Excel file which I manually load in the chat and generate a new file with a specific format using the data from the original file.

    I encountered many issues with Copilot Studio, and below is what works and how:

    • You need short but precise instructions. Long instructions may cause timeouts with all the thing Copilot studio has to process
    • You need to have Code Interpreter enabled in the parameters
    • You need to use GPT‑5 as the model
    • Your input file must be clean, or at least contain one sheet with no specific formatting
    • Your input file must be a CSV file. The Code Interpreter requires a CSV file. With an XLSX file, it may do “something”, but there is no actual output—even if the agent says the file has been transformed. The generated code simply does nothing
    • AI Builder works in a similar way, but it requires more technical steps (Power Automate, variables), and all of this also consumes credits

    I did not test the agent once published to Teams. The behavior may be different and would probably require some adjustments...

    These are all my tests and recommendations that finally allowed my agent to transform the file. It need some upgrade to avoid new issues

    It is very frustrating because it worked well with an XLSX file last week, and then it suddenly stopped working for no clear reason, so I had to adapt my agent.

    Hope it will help some of you

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Pope 10 Reputation points
    2026-04-13T07:33:17.06+00:00

    I changed the setting to have copilot think deeper. I then prompted it to "regenerate the response and ensure accuracy".

    The next response contained hyperlinked text that contained what I was expecting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Alvin Bass 15 Reputation points
    2026-02-06T23:43:12.82+00:00

    I have been experiencing the exact same problem. I am now creating my files through Frontier in Copilot with no further issues.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  5. Lychee-Ng 29,235 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-12-23T11:53:07.6066667+00:00

    To everyone in this thread, I understand that it's frustrating when Copilot not generating files like you want. Please note that AI assistants in general, and Copilot in particular, are constantly in development. Due to its special characteristics, AI can sometimes make mistakes and has not yet reached the point of being flawless at the moment. Besides Microsoft's effort, it depends a lot on guidance and training from the users -- all of you. Please be patient and understanding of Copilot's behaviors, support its growth, and you will eventually achieve the results you desire.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.