How do I "unhang" DISM

Roger Blair 405 Reputation points
2025-07-24T11:52:38.91+00:00

I run W11 Home Pro on a Dell laptop. I'm trying to fix a 0x00070005 problem with updating an app. Per instructions on this site, I'm running the command "DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth" command, which has been hanging at 62.3% completion for well over an hour. How do I "nudge" DISM along, or should I close the Terminal window and start over?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 937.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-07-24T12:28:37.9733333+00:00

If that command is still stuck on 62.3%, then the best option is to close the terminal window, restart (not shut down)your PC, then try running that command again.

If the command will still not run to completion, open the Settings App, go to System - Recovery, then click the 'Reinstall Now' button in the 'Fix problems with Windows Updates' section and wait for that process to complete.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2025-07-24T11:52:39.4533333+00:00

    If DISM is hanging during the execution of the command, it is generally recommended to wait a bit longer, as the process can sometimes take a significant amount of time, especially if there are many files to check or repair. However, if it has been stuck for an extended period (like over an hour), you may consider closing the Terminal window and restarting the process.

    Before you do that, ensure that your internet connection is stable, as DISM may need to download files from Microsoft Update servers to complete the operation successfully. If you continue to experience issues, you might want to check for any antivirus software that could be interfering with the process and consider disabling it temporarily.

    If you decide to restart the process, you can run the command again:

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    

    Make sure to run the command prompt as an administrator for the best results.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.