Install error - 0x80070306 2025-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062660) (26100.4770)

Henry Tamm 80 Reputation points
2025-07-23T17:45:12.7466667+00:00

I continue to get warnings to update my W11 OS after it fails.

I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, sometimes it fails, other times it finds no problems.

I have verified that Windows Update Service is running.

I cleared the Windows Update Cache after stopping the service, then restarted the service.

I have run the SFC & DISM to check and repair any errant files - there were none.

I have 742GB of free space on the OS drive.

I have no other anti-virus or -malware installed, excepting the default Windows 11 provided software.

I have done many reboots.

After all the above steps, this update still fails.

I have had no problems with 3 other PCs in the home.

This occurs on both wifi and ether connections - wifi is 30mb up/128mb down.

This is a Dell 5511, i5-10400H, 64GB ram, 1TB NVMe drive.

BIOS is up to date.

Any Suggestions??

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Answer accepted by question author
John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-07-23T18:26:56.26+00:00

Hi, good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

Microsoft has begun implementing and releasing Optional preview updates that are typically released on the 3rd or 4th week of every month. These updates allow admins to test the patch before its mandatory launch on Patch Tuesday (2nd week of the month). If you are not experiencing any issues with your system, there is no need to install the preview update.

Please check if you can still use the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide the preview update. Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates. Run the troubleshooter then please try to hide KB5062660 update if it appears. You may try restarting your pc if it helps.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

I look forward to receiving your update and I'm willing to collaborate with you till we resolve the issue. Do keep me informed.

Kind regards,

John DeV

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

5 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Henry Tamm 80 Reputation points
    2025-07-23T19:56:33.4733333+00:00

    Please see the above response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-07-24T02:09:50.05+00:00

    Hi Henry,

    Click Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.

    Next to Get the latest updates as soon as they're available , set the toggle to Off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. omkar more 10 Reputation points
    2025-07-28T07:56:22.8366667+00:00

    I continue to get warnings to update my W11 OS after it fails.

    I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, sometimes it fails, other times it finds no problems.

    I have verified that Windows Update Service is running.

    I cleared the Windows Update Cache after stopping the service, then restarted the service.

    I have run the SFC & DISM to check and repair any errant files - there were none.

    I have 742GB of free space on the OS drive.

    I have no other anti-virus or -malware installed, excepting the default Windows 11 provided software.

    I have done many reboots.

    After all the above steps, this update still fails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Cristian Dorini 0 Reputation points
    2025-07-28T17:33:52.53+00:00

    I'm having the same problem with KB5062676 on 25H2, error 0x80070302. I also contacted Microsoft support, who connected and asked me to "reinstall" over 24h2, but then they disconnected and, obviously, the installation failed. So I'm still here waiting for a new update that might fix the problem. The funny thing is that I switched from the Beta channel to the Dev channel precisely because of a similar error, and with the first update, the same error again.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.