Powerpoint Master Templates Disappearing

Anonymous
2025-06-05T01:48:03+00:00

My master slides delete without warning, prompting or confirming when saving - is this a bug?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
John Korchok 236.6K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-06-05T16:27:56+00:00

When you view the Slide Master, you should see a pushpin icon to the left of the slide master. This indicates that the master will be preserved when you save the file. If that icon is not visible, please right-click on the slide master and choose Preserve Master.

Rarely, I see presentation where even preserved masters disappear. You should be able to prevent this by adding at least one slide from each slide master to the presentation. PowerPoint will not delete masters that are actively being used by slides.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

6 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T20:43:21+00:00

    Hi yes... this absolutely the way to go. I didn't rate the answer well though, not because the answer was flawed because it isn't, it's perfect, but because this is a "work-around" and not fix to a feature that I can only assume that M365 thought was a good idea - to purge without prompting then saving to make the purge unrecoverable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-06-10T14:29:28+00:00

    Have you tried following John Korchok's advice above?

    That's likely the answer you're after.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T22:06:51+00:00

    Appreciate all of the feedback and your help.

    Some context.... I am a graphic designer for my organisation and I was building templates for our staff use.

    "the issue you have raised to us is still on-going" - I assume so failing toggling the preserve master flag. See the problem is that I expected that PowerPoint would not delete my work without a prompt with the result being an uncoverable one.

    "try saving as a PowerPoint Template (.potx) instead" - does not make a difference to the functionality of the app and the problem persists.

    "Disable AutoSave" - for me I lost work trying this method as the deletion occurs before the save... deletes then saves.

    "Use "Save As" Instead of Overwriting' - is a work around not a solution. This will work to recover a back up but any subsequent work is lost. The unpredictable nature of the app to purge masters makes this method untenable.

    "Repair Office Installation" - this is a work computer and I do not have admin rights to this functionality. As we outsource our IT this will probably cost us $200+ as a fix.

    "Check for Updates" - did not know this was a thing. We have a tenant license for Microsoft 365 and I assumed this will happen discretely or clearly notified like the Windows updates. I haven't tested since I updated.

    "Test on Another Device" - I haven't attempted this.

    My approach was to split the many masters, I had 20, into separate template files. This seemed to lessen the amount of deletions ppt would do and made for any loss tolerable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T15:23:13+00:00

    Hi,

    We have noticed that you  have not replied to our last response. We would like to know if the issue you have raised to us is still on-going. If yes, please reply to the thread so we can continue troubleshooting your concern.

    Regards,

    Fordy B.

    Microsoft Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments