A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Get rid of the Google Drive app - that solved this problem for me.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I’m using Excel 365 on Windows 11, and I’ve noticed a repeatable issue with the Visual Basic Editor (VBE).
When I open a workbook (.xlsx or .xlsm) and then close it, its VBAProject remains visible in the Project Explorer in VBE — and is still editable — even though the workbook has been closed and does not appear in Application.Workbooks.
This happens even when:
excel.exe /safe)Excel.exe processes remainThe leftover VBAProject is not removed from the VBE memory and persists until Excel is fully restarted.
Excel Version:
Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2504 Build 16.0.18730.20186) 64-bit
Can anyone from the product team confirm if this is a known issue? Is there a workaround or hotfix planned?
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Get rid of the Google Drive app - that solved this problem for me.
I've never seen a truly plausible explanation - file sharing / backup functionality of GDrive, timing of the file close, etc. doesn't really explain Excel's part in all that. But it never happens without GDrive being active, for me, at least.
Thank You.
I exited the google drive app and the projects are now being removed as expected. I will test some more.
Not sure why the google drive app would cause this behaviour, perhaps someone can cast light on this.
Thanks again for you quick reply.