A family of Microsoft presentation graphics products that offer tools for creating presentations and adding graphic effects like multimedia objects and special effects with text.
Hello,
Good day to you!
Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community!
As a moderator, I appreciate your thoughtful and responsible approach to ensuring compliance with licensing terms before publishing educational materials. While your inquiry falls slightly outside my typical scope, I’ve taken the time to research and provide a detailed response to your questions:
1. Is it permissible to publish educational materials that include Microsoft’s integrated PowerPoint icons under the CC BY-SA license?
Microsoft’s integrated icon library in Office applications (such as PowerPoint) is provided for use within documents created using Microsoft Office. These icons are licensed as part of the Office software and are intended for personal or internal business/educational use, not for redistribution under open licenses like Creative Commons.
Therefore, publishing materials that include these icons under a CC BY-SA license is not permitted, as it would involve redistributing Microsoft-owned content under a license that allows modification and reuse, which conflicts with Microsoft’s terms.
2. Would such a publication violate any copyright or licensing terms associated with Microsoft Office content?
Including Microsoft’s proprietary icons in materials distributed under Creative Commons licenses would violate Microsoft’s copyright and licensing terms, as these icons are not licensed for open redistribution or modification. Even though the materials are educational, the icons themselves remain copyrighted assets.
To remain fully compliant, I recommend the following:
- Remove or replace Microsoft icons with icons from open-source libraries (e.g., Font Awesome, The Noun Project, or Material Icons) that are compatible with Creative Commons licensing.
- Alternatively, you may keep the icons only in internal-use versions of the materials and publish a public version without them.
Additionally, you can infer Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content | Microsoft Legal or What am I allowed to use premium creative content for? - Microsoft Support
Once again, thank you again for raising this issue; it’s helped broaden my understanding. I hope you understand that I want to help as much as I can within the scope of this forum.
If my answer is helpful, please mark it as an answer by Yes, which will definitely help others in the community who have similar queries to find solutions to their problems faster.
Feel free to reach out anytime if you need further assistance — we're always here to help.
Best Regards,
Tina L - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist