Auto numbering does not work when a style is linked to multilevel list

Anonymous
2025-01-23T06:57:28+00:00

Hi and thanks for your help.

I have been a Word user for ±20 years now and decided to give styles for headings and so on a try. I often need to write reports and the style option is very hand.

But, when linking a style, Heading 1 for example, to a numbered list, the auto numbering does not work anymore.

Example: When starting my list, 1. Heading 1 and hit enter after my heading, the next line should be 2. and the next heading. But instead, it ends the numbering and enter in inserted with a next clean line. It works perfect when the headings are not linked to a style.

Please advise what I am doing wrong and how to make this work.

Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2025-01-23T13:47:06+00:00

If you're trying to create an outline, try Outline view. In that view, when you press Enter at the end of a heading paragraph, another heading at the same level will be inserted. You could change the "Style for following paragraph" as Doug suggested, but if you plan to go back and fill in some Normal text after the headings, that would be counterproductive. Outline view also has buttons to allow you to easily promote/demote the heading/numbering level.

I assume you have started by using the 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3 choice in the Multilevel List gallery. This is a quick way to add outline number linked to styles, and you can use Define New Multilevel List (with the insertion point in your first Heading 1 paragraph) to add periods to the numbering if preferred.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

7 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-23T19:28:12+00:00

    It is important that when trying to edit a list that you start with the first level 1 paragraph in the document and use Define New MultiLevel List.

    See How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly.

    If you make your changes at any other point, you get what is known by the technical term "spaghetti numbering."

    For much more including links to videos, download my pdf: Automatic Numbering in Word. It was created for a talk I gave earlier this month.

    More on all automatic numbering in Word: Numbering in Microsoft Word

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T13:40:58+00:00

    Hi Doug.

    Thanks so much for the reply.

    I often do public speaking so what I want to do is not for letters or something very official. Only for myself.

    I tried different choices from the drop list but couldn't get it to work. It ranges from not using the header font to not continue numbering. I will need to do it manually. The second picture is what I want it to do.

    Thanks for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-23T08:00:59+00:00

    To invoke the behaniour that you describe, you would need to modify the Style by selecting the Style that should be used for the following paragraph.

    Note however, it is not normal practice to use the Heading Styles for a list. They should be reserved for use for the actual headings in your document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments