Office 2021 LTSC Standard 2021 Install - Error code: 0-2048(0)

Anonymous
2024-10-16T13:59:31+00:00

Hi, at our org, we've been using the following instructions flawlessly for 2 years:

https://www.techsoup.org/support/articles-and-how-tos/how-to-download-and-install-microsoft-office-products-requested-from-techsoup

Then, all of the sudden, it has stopped working. At the point of Step 4 (in the above instructions), once the "setup /configure configuration.xml" command is run, the installation throws an error, 0-2048(0), and says something like "Could not find specified file path". Checked all the path references, etc. and all looks good.

These are brand new or newly reset laptops, so nothing is strange with the hardware. All previous versions of Office, Office 365, etc. are removed. And, again, this has worked 25+ times over the past 2 years, even as recently as August 2024. But has since stopped working.

I have checked with TechSoup (where we purchased the licenses and received their installation instructions) and they said there is nothing they can do and referred us to Microsoft. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-11-10T01:43:01+00:00

Running the /configure command through CMD Run as Administrator works for me.
Spent HOURS trying different methods and downloads and trying to find an old version of the ODT.

Hope that helps!

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

14 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T21:06:40+00:00

    Dear DGarzaF,

    Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

    We are sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with installing Office LTSC Standard 2021. I deeply understand the inconvenience caused and apologize for it.

    We appreciate your understanding that sometimes the initial response may not resolve the problem immediately. However, we can work together to narrow down and resolve the situation. So, for further troubleshooting, could you please provide the information below:

    1. Could you please let me know if you have tried installing an older version of ODT that you have used before and then running the Office installation?
    2. Additionally, could you please provide me with the specific ODT version you are using so that I can reproduce the issue on my end and check for bugs?

    Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

    Sincerely,

    Ralph Chawatama | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T12:30:42+00:00

    Dear Ralph,

    Thank you for the reply. The answer to both of your questions are the same: via the TechSoup instructions that I referenced in the original post, we always download the most current copy of ODT from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117.  So whenever we attempt to do an Office install, we go to that site and download the most current copy of ODT. And to confirm, we experienced the problem described in the original post on Thursday, October 10 and Monday, October 14 - so the ODT version was whatever was live on the Microsoft download site on that day.

    Thanks you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T18:05:17+00:00

    Dear DGarzaF,

     

    Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

     

    We are sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with installing Office LTSC Standard 2021. I deeply understand the inconvenience caused and apologize for it.

     

    We appreciate your understanding that sometimes the initial response may not resolve the problem immediately. However, we can work together to narrow down and resolve the situation. So, for further troubleshooting, could you please provide the information below:

    1. Could you please let me know if you have tried installing an older version of ODT that you have used before and then running the Office installation?
    2. Additionally, could you please provide me with the specific ODT version you are using so that I can reproduce the issue on my end and check for bugs?

    Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

     

    Sincerely,

    Ralph Chawatama | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Hello,

    I have the same problem, I think the problem is in the latest version of ODT (16.0.18129.20030). I tried to install version 16.0.17830.20162, but unfortunately another problem occurred, error code 2052 0. I will be glad if you send me the link to version 16.0.17328.20162.!

    Thank youuu!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T22:37:48+00:00

    Dear DGarzaF,

    Good day! I hope you are doing well.

    I’m sorry you’re having a problem and for the situation you encountered, we deeply understand the inconvenience caused and apologize for it.

    As per your current issue, recently, we received similar issue user getting an error when trying to install office using Office Deployment Tool in this community.

    I checked unfortunately currently there is no service incident. Since the issue happened to multiple users and I'm afraid this issue could be a bug. I also test (I just tested from my side) and it seems that I also meet the same behavior as like you mentioned above. Since, we are currently experiencing same application-level issue. Please be patient and I believe it will be fixed soon in the upcoming version of ODT. For reference you can have a look at the following threads:

    Error 30033-2030 (0) when trying to install Office 365 - Microsoft Community

    Office 2021 LTSC Standard 2021 Install - Error code: 0-2048(0) - Microsoft Community

    Since, we are currently experiencing an application-level issue, which needs to be investigated and fixed by the development team. I sincerely suggest you report the issue to our development team by going to **** https://config.office.com/deploymentsettings> Feedback icon (top right) > Report a problem. The more reports they receive from different customers, the more likely they will be able to find something affects users in common, do investigation and fix it soon.

    Image

    Please accept my Apologies and I do feel regret for not resolving the problem and redirecting you to the related development team but the fix to your concern can be find out through the background logs.

    We are redirecting you to the proper one to solve the issue. That’s why we suggest you report to our development so that, they will help you as soon as possible.

    Sincerely,

    Ralph Chawatama | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments