Office 2021 LTSC Standard 2021 Install - Error code: 0-2048(0)

Anonymous
2024-10-16T13:59:31+00:00

Hi, at our org, we've been using the following instructions flawlessly for 2 years:

https://www.techsoup.org/support/articles-and-how-tos/how-to-download-and-install-microsoft-office-products-requested-from-techsoup

Then, all of the sudden, it has stopped working. At the point of Step 4 (in the above instructions), once the "setup /configure configuration.xml" command is run, the installation throws an error, 0-2048(0), and says something like "Could not find specified file path". Checked all the path references, etc. and all looks good.

These are brand new or newly reset laptops, so nothing is strange with the hardware. All previous versions of Office, Office 365, etc. are removed. And, again, this has worked 25+ times over the past 2 years, even as recently as August 2024. But has since stopped working.

I have checked with TechSoup (where we purchased the licenses and received their installation instructions) and they said there is nothing they can do and referred us to Microsoft. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-11-10T01:43:01+00:00

Running the /configure command through CMD Run as Administrator works for me.
Spent HOURS trying different methods and downloads and trying to find an old version of the ODT.

Hope that helps!

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

14 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T17:33:27+00:00

    And of course the run as Admin was my oversight...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-17T20:56:54+00:00

    Corey, you absolute mad lad! Thank you so much, this worked for me after I had been at it for hours!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T18:39:28+00:00

    Thank you for this nugget of wisdom! This is what finally (finally, finally) worked for me, too. But what a pain in the **** to get here. Oof.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-04T08:03:33+00:00

    Hi.

    I have the same issue, all of a sudden my normal install process for Office 365 apps now fails.

    Two things that I have noticed (no, I haven't found a full solution yet).

    If you go to the portal.office.com page and download the set up tool, it is a different version than the one mentioned as the current Office deployment tool.

    The web site portal.office.com downloads version Setup_16.0.18129.20016, but the official deployment tool found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117 is 16.0.18129.20030. Now, the second thing that I noticed is hard to explain.

    My install bat file contains the command "OfficeSetup.exe /configure NewConfiguration.xml" with the xml file and all of the source files and the setup exe in one folder, but the bat file doesn't work if you double click it.

    BUT, if I open CD (run as administrator) and navigate to the directory where all of the source files are and paste the command "OfficeSetup.exe /configure NewConfiguration.xml" then the setup fires up and completes the install.

    I have noticed though, that when I double click on the bat file windows prompt for UAC, and then launches a second CMD and install, and its possible that that second command window is not providing the path to the xml file.

    If I run the bat file as administrator then it opens and closes and fails to install.

    I'm still fishing for a more complete solution, because obviously double clicking is the most suitable install method for me for a mass deploy.

    Thanks

    Take care

    George S

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments