Pasting from Word to PowerPoint is causing an error message

Anonymous
2024-11-30T13:57:38+00:00

When I copy and paste or cut and paste text from Word to PowerPoint, I get an error message that says "We're sorry. Something went wrong that might make PowerPoint unstable. Please save your presentations and restart PowerPoint."

  • It is Microsoft 365 and PowerPoint version 2411 (Build 18227.20046 Click-to-Run)
  • It is only text from Word. Text from other sources work fine.
  • It is only text. Images can be copied and pasted with no problem.
  • It is text of all sizes, including just one word from a brand-new doc.

I've tried:

  • Restarting PowerPoint
  • Restarting Word
  • Restarting the computer
  • Restarting PowerPoint in Safe Mode
  • I've tried text from different Word documents, including new docs I've just created for this purpose
  • I've tried text with just one word, and text with a lot of words
  • I've tried adding a new user and doing it from that user's account (same computer though)
Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

24 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. John Korchok 236.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-03T19:35:34+00:00

    To get an update in Word for Windows, please choose File>Account>Update Options>Update Now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T16:11:40+00:00

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T16:21:13+00:00

    Sorry for late responding.

    I went to "Account" in Word, then to "Update Options," and initiated an update. However, I know that the update is apparently being rolled out gradually. A friend who also has the same problem hasn't received it yet.

    After updating the ne Version/Build is:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T16:24:15+00:00

    Can others confirm that copying from Word to PowerPoint works again after the update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments