Pasting from Word to PowerPoint is causing an error message

Anonymous
2024-11-30T13:57:38+00:00

When I copy and paste or cut and paste text from Word to PowerPoint, I get an error message that says "We're sorry. Something went wrong that might make PowerPoint unstable. Please save your presentations and restart PowerPoint."

  • It is Microsoft 365 and PowerPoint version 2411 (Build 18227.20046 Click-to-Run)
  • It is only text from Word. Text from other sources work fine.
  • It is only text. Images can be copied and pasted with no problem.
  • It is text of all sizes, including just one word from a brand-new doc.

I've tried:

  • Restarting PowerPoint
  • Restarting Word
  • Restarting the computer
  • Restarting PowerPoint in Safe Mode
  • I've tried text from different Word documents, including new docs I've just created for this purpose
  • I've tried text with just one word, and text with a lot of words
  • I've tried adding a new user and doing it from that user's account (same computer though)
Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

24 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-01T07:33:38+00:00

    Hello Amy Ricketts, welcome to the Microsoft Community. 

    I understand that you encountered an issue when copying from Word to PowerPoint. I would like to know when this issue started occurring. Confirming this might help identify the cause of the problem.

    On the other hand, you can perform a simple test by:

    • Copying from Word to Excel
    • Copying from Excel to PowerPoint

    Using Excel as an intermediary can help us determine whether the issue lies with Word or PowerPoint.

    Additionally, repairing Office often resolves most issues, so I recommend you try this first: Repair an Office application - Microsoft Support

    If a quick repair does not work, consider an online repair. This will re-download the Office applications and overwrite the currently installed applications to fix any potential errors. It takes longer, so I suggest trying it during your free time.

    The following solutions are also worth trying:

    Reset Office

    • Close all office applications.
    • Press Windows + R , in the run box that opens type: regedit and press enter.
    • Locate the following key value and rename the Office folder (right-click on it and select Rename, e.g. rename Office to Officeold)
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
      
    • Then check if the problem is solved.

    Create a new local account

    • Press Windows + S, search for cmd, and run the Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Enter and run the following two commands separately:
        net user User /add
      
        net localgroup administrators User /add
      
    • Replace User with the username for the new account. You can choose any name you like, but it's recommended to use English.
    • After completing this, click on the user icon in the Start menu and switch users. You may see a setup guide; complete it to enter the system.
    • Test whether the issue occurs in the new user environment.

    Disclaimer: Generally, modifying registry subkeys or work group is intended for advanced users, administrators, and IT Professionals. It can help fix some problems, however, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For further protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click How to back up and restore the registry in Windows - Microsoft Support to view the article.  

    If you think this information is helpful, or if you still have any questions about it, feel free to let me know in your reply!Best RegardsEliac | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-15T12:22:38+00:00

    I've the same problem since November 2024. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't fix it. Will there be a solution soon? There are many users who have it and also initial workarounds, but they do not restore full functionality.

    --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZN1kqMzdM

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-24T22:03:08+00:00

    I'm having this same problem so there must be an error that is affecting many. I hope someone from Microsoft can provide a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. John Korchok 236.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-24T23:43:39+00:00

    PowerPoint may not be able to parse your formatting in Word. Have you tried pasting as Plain Text (Home>Paste>Keep Text Only)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-24T23:58:18+00:00

    Thanks for your response. Yes, I can paste plain text, but I've been using PPT for years and have never before had this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments