Pasting from Word to PowerPoint is causing an error message

Anonymous
2024-11-30T13:57:38+00:00

When I copy and paste or cut and paste text from Word to PowerPoint, I get an error message that says "We're sorry. Something went wrong that might make PowerPoint unstable. Please save your presentations and restart PowerPoint."

  • It is Microsoft 365 and PowerPoint version 2411 (Build 18227.20046 Click-to-Run)
  • It is only text from Word. Text from other sources work fine.
  • It is only text. Images can be copied and pasted with no problem.
  • It is text of all sizes, including just one word from a brand-new doc.

I've tried:

  • Restarting PowerPoint
  • Restarting Word
  • Restarting the computer
  • Restarting PowerPoint in Safe Mode
  • I've tried text from different Word documents, including new docs I've just created for this purpose
  • I've tried text with just one word, and text with a lot of words
  • I've tried adding a new user and doing it from that user's account (same computer though)
Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

24 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-26T08:17:35+00:00

    It helps in the sense that copying from a safe-Word open document into PowerPoint yields the layout as it was in Word. It does not solve the issue that copying from (non-safe) Word to PowerPoint yields the error. It keeps on being annoying, since issue is between Word and Powerpoint only.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-25T17:39:39+00:00

    Thanks so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-25T16:40:13+00:00

    Press Windows+R --> Enter: winword /safe

    :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-25T16:34:44+00:00

    Win+R

    winword /safe

    Press the Windows button plus the R - or right click on the start button and choose Run.

    Type winword /safe and press Enter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-25T16:23:42+00:00

    Sorry, I'm unable to figure out how to open in safe mode. Can someone please help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments