Solved: Typing symbols on physical keyboard causes cursor to jump around (OneNote Android - Samsung)

Anonymous
2024-06-26T18:37:06+00:00

I had been frustrated for a while that using OneNote on a Samsung Tablet with a keyboard was leading to a jumpy cursor. If you tried to type "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" you'd end up with "e Salute You) For Those About To Rock (W" since the cursor would jump the character after the parenthesis. I found several threads here that recommended reinstalling or clearing cache or whatever but none of those solve the problem. I think I finally stumbled across a potential source of the problem and a few solutions. It seems that the conflict is between the Samsung software keyboard and any physical keyboard (doesn't seem to matter whether it's bluetooth or a Samsung direct connect keyboard) that is somehow leading to a strange code (only with OneNote so far as I can tell). Two ways to fix it:

  1. You can install GBoard and make it the default keyboard. It seems funny that changing the software keyboard is the key, but there you go. This does change some of the settings so if you love the Samsung keyboard this isn't ideal.
  2. You can go into the Samsung Keyboard settings and turn off the "Show Toolbar with physical keyboard" option. This should also fix the problem, as the conflict seems to be something with how that software toolbar (the predictive text piece?) interacts with the physical keyboard and OneNote.

Hopefully this solves other people's problems, as either option took care of the issue for me. I know I've been frustrated by this for a while, so hope this helps a few people (including perhaps MS and/or Samsung to isolate where the conflict actually is).

Good luck!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | Android

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T23:38:21+00:00

    Using GBoard solves a lot of similar problems.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments