"Word could not finish merging these documents or inserting this database" error message when pressing finish and merge

Anonymous
2024-03-22T13:02:29+00:00

I cannot get my mail merge to send and I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I sent a mail merge about 5 days ago with no issue and I am having issues.

The database is definitely loaded as I can see the names in preview.

The data base is about 900 emails but I tried with just 10 and it didn't work. The excel file is saved onto my desktop so unsure whether I need to save it to one drive.

My word is on version 16.83.

Using a MacBook and Outlook, Word and Excel (all logged into the same account).

I am not very technical so need some help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2024-03-25T19:24:06+00:00

    Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

    Were you ever able to successfully use the database as your data source for Mail Merge? If yes, then you should check any new records that were added.

    If not, then you need to check the entire database to make sure it follows database rules. The data type for each column should be set. All records in a column must have the same data type (all entries must be either dates, numbers, or text, for example). There can be no empty rows.

    Sometimes it helps to break the data source up into segments. Try merging the first 100 records. If that works, you know those records are OK and can move on the next 100 records.

    Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad record to mess up the mail merge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T09:39:40+00:00

    This message is almost certainly due to a change in the data source. Look for a new record or changed record that was entered incorrectly. Perhaps someone merged cells, for example.

    Hi, thank you for your reply!

    What do you mean by record, is this the data in the database? If so, how should I go about fixing this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2024-03-22T20:50:50+00:00

    This message is almost certainly due to a change in the data source. Look for a new record or changed record that was entered incorrectly. Perhaps someone merged cells, for example.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments