Print Dialog will not display for MS Word on Mac

Anonymous
2024-03-30T02:46:20+00:00

I have a mac with an M2 processor and OS version Sonoma 14.4.1. I have a MS365 subscription and I have Notes, Excel, and Word installed on the mac. The version of Word that I have is 16.83 (24031120). I do not have any printers configured in the OS. I just use the print to PDF feature on the print dialog.

With an existing file open in MS Word nothing happens when I select the Print command from the File menu. I have also tried using the Print icon from the Quick Access Toolbar to no effect. I also created a new file, added a few words to the blank document and tried to print it. Again the print dialog did not display.

When I use the same menu command in Safari the Print dialog displays. To me this implies that the OS is not the problem.

When I use the same menu command in MS Excel the Print dialog displays. To me this implies that a possible shared MS Office component is not the problem. Hence I am left to presume that something about how MS Word is trying to call the dialog.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
2024-03-30T18:56:04+00:00

I have no idea what the convoluted suggestions are intended to accomplish but Jim has addressed that. It's also worth noting that various programs access the print subsystem in different ways so it isn't unusual to experience issues when attempting to print from some but not others.

For a real world approach what you might try is:

First, restart the Mac. That may or may not resolve the issue.

If not, Please follow these directions: Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2024-03-30T18:06:58+00:00

    Hi Strawberry,

    Please disregard most of what (ParthP) said. I don't know what he's talking about, but it sure isn't Microsoft Word.

    Please describe the Notes program a bit. Is it an add-in or helper application? I suspect Notes is the cause of the problem. Try disabling Notes and see if the dialogs work as expected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more