Limit to number of Onenote Custom Tags

Anonymous
2020-02-04T20:35:28+00:00

I have a user who has created 99 custom tags in Onenote...and he is not permitted to make more.  Looks like a limit to the number of custom tags that are allowed.

Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know how to circumvent it?  Is this configurable in the tenant?

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-02-11T09:39:37+00:00

Hi Whistler73,

Thank you for posting back and sharing these detailed information.

Seems the user is using OneNote 2016 instead of OneNote for Windows 10. The screenshot you shared is about OneNote 2016.

Here is a screenshot about the custom tags in OneNote for Windows 10.

I have tested in OneNote 2016 to create custom tags and I can see the same behavior as you describe, when adding more than 99 custom tags, the bottom one on the drop down box disappears and becomes not visible in the dropdown for selection.

Seems it's an expected behavior in OneNote 2016. Really sorry for the inconvenience.

I recommend you share your valuale feedback by clicking File>Feedback>I Don't Like Somthing within OneNote 2016. This is the best way to let the developers know about this and help improving the product. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

In addition, as a workaround, you may let the user try OneNote for Windows 10 as we can creating more than 100 custom tags in it.

(Sorry it's not available to transfter the custom tags he has created from OneNote 2016 to OneNote for Windows 10. )

OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows 10 can be installed on one computer at the same time.

OneNote for Windows 10 is pre-installed on Windows 10. You can find it as below:

Here are articles for your reference

Basic tasks in OneNote for Windows 10

What's new in OneNote for Windows 10

Best regards,

Tina

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

7 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T18:44:58+00:00

    More info from the user:

    "I added a new tag and the bottom one on the drop down box went away.  I then searched tags for the one that dropped off and it is finding the entries with that tag.  Issue is that I cannot select that tag from the drop down anymore to mark items that belong with that tag."

    Which means, it sounds like it is not deleting the tags after it hits 99 custom tags, they are all just not visible in his dropdown for selection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T18:11:03+00:00

    Thanks...finally got the needed data.

    Does the user use OneNote for Windows 10?' -- YES

    May I know how does the user create the custom tags?

    Via Home>Create New Tag>when "Create a Tag" window opens, name the tag and choose an icon, then click Create?  

    User doesn't have a “Create New Tag” on the home tab.  He clicks the drop down box in the tags section of the ribbon and selects Customize Tags and then New Tag.

    My OneNote version is 16001.12430.20120, Windows 10 version is 1903(18362.592).

    You may let the user try updating OneNote to see if it helps.

    Open Microsoft Store>click the 3 dots(Downloads and updates)>in Downloads, click Get updates to see if there is any new version for OneNote. -- We did that and there was no change in behavior

    Besides, to better understand the situation and help you do troubleshooting, I'd like to confirm information below:

    1.When the user can't create more than 99 custom tags, what error message does he get? Please share a screenshot. -- No error message.  The new tag shows up in the drop down and the count is still 99 tags, looks like the oldest tag may be deleted/dropped off

    2.What is his OneNote version and Windows version? - OneNote - 16.0.11929.20234  32-bit.  Windows 10

    3.Regarding the custom tags he created, what icon does he use? You may share a screenshot of the icon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-05T15:04:02+00:00

    Thanks for the response!  Will gather the data and check the version and reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-05T04:05:31+00:00

    Hi Whistler73,

    Thank you for sharing the experience with us.

    Does the user use OneNote for Windows 10?

    May I know how does the user create the custom tags?

    Via Home>Create New Tag>when "Create a Tag" window opens, name the tag and choose an icon, then click Create?

    I test from my side, use the steps above, I can create more than 100 custom tags in OneNote for Windows 10 without any issue. Seems I cannot reproduce the same behavior.

    My OneNote version is 16001.12430.20120, Windows 10 version is 1903(18362.592).

    You may let the user try updating OneNote to see if it helps.

    Open Microsoft Store>click the 3 dots(Downloads and updates)>in Downloads, click Get updates to see if there is any new version for OneNote.

    Besides, to better understand the situation and help you do troubleshooting, I'd like to confirm information below:

    1.When the user can't create more than 99 custom tags, what error message does he get? Please share a screenshot.

    2.What is his OneNote version and Windows version?

    3.Regarding the custom tags he created, what icon does he use? You may share a screenshot of the icon.

    Appreciate your time and effort.

    Best regards,

    Tina

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments