Restoring .bin files to Onenote

Anonymous
2020-06-02T07:57:03+00:00

My files have not been syncing for a few days due to connection issues to the server, and I have accidentally cleared cache for the one note app I have been using since it started freezing and having issues. 

From then on I couldn't access a specific page on Onenote, no backups are available as they are all for the previous synced date. There is crucial information I need to access and I can see .bin files in the cache folder(C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\16.0\cache). Can you please advice on what I can do to convert these .bin files into one note?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T10:42:54+00:00

    Dear Lisa,

    Unfortunately, is not possible to access or read ".bin" files from cache, Microsoft doesn't support that process and they not has any tool for that, sometime ago I had same issue like you with a work notebook, and there was no way to restore that files, because of that I started to use Onenote 2016 version, this version had the local backup feature, also you can work offline and always you will have your physical files there.

    By the way, if you have installed Onenote 2016 version, the backup path is:

    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\16.0\Backup

    and the default Notebooks location is:

    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Document\Onenote Notebooks\

    Regards,

    Renzo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T23:46:22+00:00

    As an user like you, I know that the situation is quite frustrating, also you can create a support ticket with the Virtual agent, after to say no to some questions, a real agent will reach you.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T12:04:39+00:00

    Well, if you really know that last changes was synced to the cloud, also you can try with Onedrive Restore feature, is like a point in time restore, you can go back to a specific date/time, see more information in below link:

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/restor...

    But, if it was never synced, it's not sense to think in Onedrive cloud, so, if you don't have local .one files from Onenote 2016, sorry, it's almost impossible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T10:52:34+00:00

    Hi Renzo,

    Thanks for the response, unfortunately I have tried searching everywhere possible with various solutions (one drive recycle bin, deleted notes, backup folder, force repair using Run) and to no avail. The issue is that 

    1. No sync has been made since 29th May (3 days of work lost)
    2. Cache was cleared due to crash of OneNote this morning

    Please let me know if there are other ways you can think of that can help me recover the 3 days' worth of data.

    Lisa

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments