The Windows Server Essentials Service cannot synchronize the user password to the online identity repository

Jesse Flintoff 236 Reputation points
2021-07-10T03:23:36.39+00:00

Hi there.

Recently. I have the below error coming up on multiple 2016 essential servers when doing password changes via the Essentials Dashboards.

I can confirm that passwords are not syncing to 365.

I have tired disabling 365 integration. Then re enabling. Same issue.

Anyone else seen this issue?

113467-image.png

Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. TimRaines 6 Reputation points
    2021-09-16T02:11:28.417+00:00

    Hi All,

    I have been watching this thread for sometime now and ended up also deciding to log support cases with Microsoft across three different customers we support, who are also facing the same issues. My cases are with the Partner support team at the moment trying to get them re-routed has been very difficult and even referencing this thread has still made it challenging to get the support engineers to agree its a Graph API issue not an on-premise server issue. In the last day I think I have made some progress with them however for those watching this thread; I just wanted to provide some further details on my findings.

    The log file for the Essentials dashboard consistently records the error on each effected customers server the same. After a password reset is performed via the Dashboard; the following exception is logged. This supports the findings so far in this thread that the Graph API endpoint is broken. The 404 error is clear that the process is trying to hit a non-existent endpoint.

    Log File Path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\Dashboard.log


    [15504] 210914.233059.5603: O365Manager: TResult : Boolean, args : Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.OperationInvokeEventArgs1[System.Boolean] [15504] 210914.233059.5603: O365Manager: actualArgs : Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.OperationInvokeEventArgs1[System.Boolean]
    [15504] 210914.233059.5743: OIMUtils: GetO365ConfigurationErrorMessage for Unexpected
    [15504] 210914.233059.6323: OIMUserExtension2: Error occurred in [BeginChangePassword], Title : An unknown error occurred, Content: Make sure that the computer is connected to the Internet, and then try again.

    If you continue to experience this problem, restart the server and then try again.
    [4968] 210914.233059.6363: O365ResetPasswordDialogAddin: Failed to reset password : Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.UserExtensionException: Failed to call Graph service with status code 404 and error: {"error":{"code":"ResourceNotFound","message":"Invalid version: v2","innerError":{"date":"2021-09-14T13:30:59","request-id":"cffb90cf-20af-40ac-91c8-49012f755eee","client-request-id":"cffb90cf-20af-40ac-91c8-49012f755eee"}}} ---> Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.O365ConfigureException: Failed to call Graph service with status code 404 and error: {"error":{"code":"ResourceNotFound","message":"Invalid version: v2","innerError":{"date":"2021-09-14T13:30:59","request-id":"cffb90cf-20af-40ac-91c8-49012f755eee","client-request-id":"cffb90cf-20af-40ac-91c8-49012f755eee"}}}
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.GraphAdapter.DefaultHandleGraphServiceError(Int32 statusCode, GraphServiceError error, Int32 retryTimes, Action2 errorHandler) at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.GraphAdapter.<>c__DisplayClass60_11.<InvokeWebServiceWithRetry>b__1(Int32 statusCode, GraphServiceError error)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.GraphAdapter.HandleGraphServiceException[TResult](Func1 func, Func3 errorHandler)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.GraphAdapter.InvokeWebServiceWithRetry[TResponse](Func2 func, Action2 errorHandler)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.O365ManagementCore.ChangePassword(String localUserName, String password)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.O365ManagementProvider.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<ChangePassword>b__0()
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderBase1.InvokeOperation[TResult](String operationName, Func1 func)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.OIMUserExtension2.SyncCallWarpper(Action`2 action)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.DashboardTabs.ResetPasswordDialogAdorner.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<CreatePreExecutionTasks>b__0()
    [23348] 210914.233100.7943: FormContentExtension: no tasks found.
    [28032] 210914.233222.2273: TestOnlu: O365TabPageCtrlb1d8aaa7-0be9-43d1-a36e-4789f98ea013


    Do others in this thread see this kind of error reported in their logs as well?

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Linus Haake 31 Reputation points
    2021-09-21T13:50:39.373+00:00

    Microsoft asked me whether I would agree if they archive the ticket, because there is no internal response from the product group and they cannot tell me any estimation by when it will be solved.
    I of course disagreed and to me it feels like they are not having enough tickets related to this issue...

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Matschek 1 Reputation point
    2021-09-22T10:54:32.02+00:00

    I just got a call from MS and they confirmed that they have a lot of customers and a lot of tickets about this known issue.
    Hotline still has no idea about the point of time when they are going to fix it. That's unbelievable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Richard Botfield 1 Reputation point
    2021-09-22T11:38:54.297+00:00

    I have just spoken with someone from the Microsoft 365 support team and they are suggesting that they would need to have a Gold Partner look into the issue further.

    It seems like they are suggesting that this is an issue with our server configuration rather than Microsoft 365/Azure.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. BP-7667 136 Reputation points
    2021-09-23T18:19:01.497+00:00

    Just talked with an O365 support rep on this issue. They said I will need to open a ticket with the On-Prem support team, and that it was paid support. They said it was a known issue, and gave me a link to this post (which I had already found and sent the link with my initial O365 ticket request. They also said it was basically the On-Prem teams problem and not O365.

    I suspect that O365 changed the Graph segment of Azure AD and failed to coordinate with the Server Essentials 2016 team. Since Essentials 2016 was in that awkward place between SBS 2011 and Essentials 2019 of forcing transition into the cloud and removal of On-Prem services, it is likely this small segment did not seem important. Unfortunately many businesses likely used 2016 because 2019 did not have the Access Anywhere function many have leaned on since SBS 2003/2008.

    O365 will likely not make any change that will allow the sync to work, and it will be on the Server 2016 to fix where the password sync tool attempts to connect with a patch or update.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.