The Windows Server Essentials Service cannot synchronize the user password to the online identity repository

Jesse Flintoff 236 Reputation points
2021-07-10T03:23:36.39+00:00

Hi there.

Recently. I have the below error coming up on multiple 2016 essential servers when doing password changes via the Essentials Dashboards.

I can confirm that passwords are not syncing to 365.

I have tired disabling 365 integration. Then re enabling. Same issue.

Anyone else seen this issue?

113467-image.png

Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. joe mills 26 Reputation points
    2021-09-14T15:20:40.807+00:00

    You may want to investigate and try the following.... a good config file is also necessary if you are using any of the online services.


    I have found a temporary "workaround" to quiet the Computer Monitoring alert. It is working successfully for me across all my servers. Unfortunately, I can't and won't guarantee success for everyone since I do NOT work for Microsoft and I don't have access to the same resources; so please PROCEED AT YOU OWN RISK! You fully assume all risk, responsibility, and liability with this workaround and it's installation. Please read and understand what this workaround does and PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I recommend you make sure you backup your server and data.

    Some background........ Microsoft has created dozens and dozens of health definitions in Essentials that scan the server (and clients) for particular issues (such as firewall problems, disk space problems, server role configuration problems, etc., etc.). Within all of that, there’s actually a specific health definition that checks for updates to just the online services integration stuff in Essentials. The health definition runs every thirty minutes where it downloads the language-specific config file. The config file contains the version information for the online services integration (which hasn’t actually changed from version 1.0.0.0 in all the years that 2016 Essentials has been out), and that’s what’s checked in order to see if an update needs to be downloaded from Microsoft. Since the config file on the server is now corrupt due to a broken or missing link on the Microsoft backend, Essentials falls over when it attempts to read the version information from it and then it tosses up the “Computer Monitoring Error” health alert.

    The Workaround... It's actually quite simple and can be easily reversed if Microsoft decides to fix the broken backend.

    Use the Essentials "Restore Files or Folder" (NOT A Full Drive) wizard to REPLACE the "OnlineServicesConfigFile" contained within: ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows Server/Data/Cloud. You MUST use a backup from prior to the Microsoft failure on or about August 31, 2021. (I successfully restored my config file using backup from August 29, 2021.)

    Quickly (before the next Health Alert Evaluation runs and overwrites the file) right click the config file, select properties and set the Attribute to READ ONLY. (This should prevent the config file from being overwritten with corrupted information again due to the missing or broken backend.)

    The Computer Monitoring Error should clear when the next Health Assessment Runs, which is usually every 30 minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Linus Haake 31 Reputation points
    2021-09-15T15:43:12.873+00:00

    Seems like it's taking just a bit more time... but only a bit!
    I sometimes wonder how serious people take this...

    *Dear Mr. Haake,
    Thank you for your patience during the processing time.
    You spoke to a colleague of mine on Friday and I just wanted to tell you briefly that I still expect feedback from our product group.
    The issue still seems to be in progress and there is no official date until when it will be fixed.
    Nevertheless, I write to the product group again, hopefully I will receive an answer.
    Kind regards
    Dragoș I****
    Team Manager
    Microsoft 365
    For Microsoft Customer Service & Support
    Working Hours: M-F 9:00 - 18:00 (GMT+2)
    Feedback: [email protected]*

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. joe mills 26 Reputation points
    2021-09-15T15:50:36.65+00:00

    The workaround does NOT disable the alerts. As I understand the problem, the server is checking to see if there have been any changes to the version information for the online services integrations stuff. To my knowledge the version information has NOT changed since 1.0.0.0. However, because their is a problem with the response from the Microsoft backend, the server thinks there has been a change and then overwrites the file with blanks or gibberish which then causes the other failures and alerts. Restoring the files and temporarily preventing them from being overwritten should restore the online services integration.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. joe mills 26 Reputation points
    2021-09-15T16:35:35.147+00:00

    Unfortunately, I am not using the online O365 services so I can’t for sure that it will fix your problem. However, the config files contain fwlinks to O365, Azure, Intune, etc…. and I suspect your problem is because they are missing. Have you inspected the config files on your server? Are they intact or corrupt?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Linus Haake 31 Reputation points
    2021-09-15T18:00:40.68+00:00

    I've tested it here, the content did not seem to be trash, at least from what I could see.
    However, I've replaced the file from the backup (31st of May, since some folks meant that it already happened in June 21) and changed the password of a test-user, but it still does not seem to be updated for the related object in the tenant.
    I will give it a while, but MS told me that the issue is not with the local server, but with some changes on Microsoft Graph (Azure).

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.