Outlook Search "Your request can't be completed right now"

Anonymous
2024-10-11T17:44:36+00:00

We are running into an issue at our company with people not being able to search for keywords. I would upload an image of it to this, but that seems to be broken right now as well.

When searching it gives the error "Your request can't be completed right now". This is happening on every version of outlook for these users (Web/Mobile/Windows)

Here is what we have tried with no luck fixing the issue.

  1. Full outlook repair
  2. Full outlook reinstall
  3. Re-added his profile
  4. Cleared cache
  5. Made sure his search settings in outlook searched all folders
  6. Rebuilt indexing on his computer
  7. Tried Old/New outlook
  8. Repaired his data files
  9. Disabled all add-ins to see if one of them was causing an issue
  10. Restarted windows search service
  11. Opened in a private browser
  12. Windows search troubleshooter
  13. Deleted registry HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice16.0Outlook

The only thing we have had luck is by having him use the old outlook and search. It fails the first time but then there is a spot to have it try again and then it works. However, this somehow breaks his outlook, and he then does not receive emails. He has to restart outlook every single time he searches for something this way.

Any other advice at this point would be appreciated.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

15 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T16:48:06+00:00

    Our It department had to go in and completely rebuild outlook for it to work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T06:52:10+00:00

    I'm having the exact same problem, constantly, at totally random times. Sometimes the search works fine, other times it just completely stops functioning on all platforms, desktop, web, mobile.... Right now at this very moment I'm not able to search at all. I have tried all solutions as well to no avail. Why does this keep happening???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-29T16:34:35+00:00

    The same issue which really stinks as alot of what I do is throggh email for my work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-07T20:06:52+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with "Your request can't be completed right now". I tried several troubleshooting methods...nothing works. The search bar doesn't work on microsoft, google chrome, phone, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-15T19:02:50+00:00

    Same here. It's been in and out throughout 2025 so far. I primarily use Outlook for Web on Windows 10.

    When I have this problem, I also typically am unable to RSVP to calendar events. I make my selection and then get an error on Outlook Calendar in web version that the change couldn't be made right now.

    And, from time to time, my Teams messages also don't send.

    And I've checked - downloaded "new" Outlook typically isn't syncing at that time either.

    This is happening when other websites are working fine and I'm online via ethernet connection, not wifi.

    It's definitely not a registry error or indexing issue since I'm primarily having website searching issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments