Text Messages from Microsoft.

Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:05:50+00:00

I have seen this answered elsewhere but have additional questions.

Does the reply(below) mean the address “ https://aka.ms/alca “ is a valid redirect link from Microsoft?

Wouldn’t I be notified when this number was added to an account?

I have had my number since before “Microsoft Account” and Gmail (the email domain in the message I received.) were established/popularized.

(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook\_com/forum/all/text-message-from-microsoft/19a44750-b9f7-4a42-9061-50e8ea368221)

Linked Original Question/Answer:

Hi,

I got a text message from Microsoft stating 

Phone number deleted from your Microsoft account (Email). Not you ? https://aka.ms/alca

The phone number is mine but I do not recognize the email address.

I am not sure how to figure out the email address. 

Hello (poster) 

I'm (responder), … .

Most likely the account owner either previously had your phone number or added it accidently and now removed it. 

In a web browser, log into your account and check the security settings, just to be safe.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T18:03:27+00:00

    Hello JustinC_100,

    I'm Ibhadighi and I'd happily help you with your question. In this forum, we are Microsoft consumers just like yourself.

    Yes, "https://aka.ms/alca" is a valid redirect link from Microsoft which leads to the account activity page. When someone changes the security settings of a Microsoft account, Microsoft often sends alerts to ensure that the user is aware of the changes, and this link provides quick access to review account activity.

    If a phone number or email is added or removed from a Microsoft account, the platform typically sends a notification to the affected number or email as a security measure. I would say the notification might most likely be about the removal and not the addition

    If you've had your number for a long time, it's plausible that someone could have mistakenly added your number to their Microsoft account. This can happen especially with recycled numbers or simple human error when typing. It’s also possible that the phone number was added a long time ago and you didn’t notice or remember the notification about the addition. If you’ve had your number for a long time, it’s possible that it was added to another account before Microsoft Account and Gmail were established/popularize

    To ensure your security:

    1. **Do Not Click Links Directly:** Even if a link appears to be legitimate, it's always a good practice to navigate to the website or service directly by typing the URL or using a bookmark, especially if you weren't expecting the message.
    2. **Check Your Microsoft Account:** Log into your Microsoft account from a trusted device and check the security settings and recent activity. This will give you insights into any changes or suspicious activity.
    3. **Two-Factor Authentication (2FA):** If you haven't already, consider enabling 2FA for your Microsoft account. This adds an extra layer of security, ensuring that even if someone knows your password, they won't be able to access your account without the second verification method.

    I hope this helps.

    Best Regards, Ibhadighi

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments