Renaming Teams and renaming Channels in a Team so the name change carries through

Anonymous
2019-07-24T19:54:53+00:00

I'm able to rename a channel in teams. But when I go to the Files section of the channel, the old name remains. To try and fix this, I went into SharePoint to rename the channel in Files, which worked, but the two files previously there were gone.  Although not optimal, the first issue can be solved by deleting the channels I've renamed and creating new ones. I was renaming existing channels because I read there is a 70 channel limit for current and deleted channels (not a lot to work with!). Is there a way to rename a channel in such a way the name change carries through to Files and Notes?

Something similar has happened with the Team name. I made a minor change to the Team name, but the original name remains in the Notebook and other places. I don't see a way to change the name so it appears correctly in the Team Notebook. Any ideas?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-07-25T17:05:26+00:00

Hi Sharon M. Walch,

After researching and consulting, we find it is a known issue that renaming a channel in Microsoft Teams does not rename the corresponding folder in SharePoint Online(channel in Files tab), besides, the legacy OneNote tabs created during public preview of Microsoft Teams cannot be renamed or deleted either, for detailed information, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/known-issues#channels

Under the circumstance, we recommend you to delete and recreate channel as you mentioned, before which please back up your data and file, after 30 days, the deleted channel will be deleted permanently, and it won't count towards the 200 channels per team limit.

I fairly understand these limits affect your work a lot, our engineers are working on these features, please monitor the updates, in addition, welcome to post your feedback to Microsoft Teams UserVoice, which is a forum for the development engineer to collect feedback from customers, your voice is helpful for better using experience.

Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Betty

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-24T23:22:59+00:00

    Hi Sharon M. Walch,

    Thanks for posting the detailed information. About how to rename channel name to let channel name in Files tab, I need to consult with related engineer for further suggestion, as soon as I get any update, I will share with you here.

    Moreover, as far as I know, Notebook tab can be renamed, please tell me more details about your concern on changing channel name in Notes. And what do you want after changing name of a Team? Which area of Notebook to change as well, please capture a screenshot for further understanding. 

    In addition, as far as I know, the limit of channel numbers in Teams is 200, and deleted channel can be restored within 30 days, after 30 days, it will be deleted permanently, for detailed information, you can refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams

    Best Regards,

    Betty

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments