login using passwordless authentication, results in error "Check your Authenticator app" "That password is incorrect for your Microsoft account"

Danny Swarbrick 190 Reputation points
2025-07-17T08:48:07.0933333+00:00

Both me and a colleague on different devices with different accounts are experiencing the same error.

We try to log on to Microsoft Outlook (with personal accounts with passwordless enabled) we enter the email address and click next.

We get the number displayed on screen and select the same number on our Microsoft Authenticator push notification.

the goes through and the screen updated to a message showing:

"Check your Authenticator app

That password is incorrect for your Microsoft account"

We are both able to login with different method and use username and password.

Is Microsoft Authenticator broken some how ?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

8 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Harold Randolph Guillen Bruna 5 Reputation points
    2025-07-22T21:56:39.6833333+00:00

    Please excuse my Google Translate English.
    I don't know why, but when you try to log in with Firefox on both PC and mobile, the app works correctly by selecting the two identical digits. It hasn't worked on Chrome for days. I haven't tried other browsers, but for now, you can access your accounts with Firefox.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. happydappyman 5 Reputation points
    2025-07-22T16:23:33.56+00:00

    In my case this was being caused by my always on VPN on both my phone and computer. I didn't have to stop using the VPN, but I did have to set them both to the same region. As soon as I did that, the sign in through the authenticator app worked again. Not sure if it's relevant, but I also set them both to my home country for the sign in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Azeem Cv 56 Reputation points
    2025-07-19T11:50:28.2433333+00:00

    I have the same issue. Now, I am unable to get codes sent via Outlook. That option has been removed from my account. I cannot add it back. To get codes getting pushed, I have to use Microsoft Authenticator App. Anyone else has this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.