login using passwordless authentication, results in error "Check your Authenticator app" "That password is incorrect for your Microsoft account"

Danny Swarbrick 190 Reputation points
2025-07-17T08:48:07.0933333+00:00

Both me and a colleague on different devices with different accounts are experiencing the same error.

We try to log on to Microsoft Outlook (with personal accounts with passwordless enabled) we enter the email address and click next.

We get the number displayed on screen and select the same number on our Microsoft Authenticator push notification.

the goes through and the screen updated to a message showing:

"Check your Authenticator app

That password is incorrect for your Microsoft account"

We are both able to login with different method and use username and password.

Is Microsoft Authenticator broken some how ?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

8 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. David 0 Reputation points
    2025-07-30T07:11:55.64+00:00

    I had the same problem on Edge on a newly set-up Mac. Puzzled by the fact that it would work on other computers and also work like a charm in In-Private tabs. Deleted "Cookies and other website data", "temporary pictures and files", "Auto-fill forms" and "website permissions" from my browser data and presto - works as if there had never been a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Amr Tawfik 5 Reputation points
    2025-07-25T20:58:40.4366667+00:00

    I have a solution that worked for me. by disabling autofill in Microsoft Authenticator, I exported all the passwords that were saved in the app to make sure I had a backup.

    Then, I disabled autofill and stopped syncing. I was warned that all saved passwords in Microsoft Authenticator would be deleted, I confirmed the action. After that, the "Passwords" tab disappeared from the app. (Make Sure this Happened)

    then tried signing in to my passwordless account again. I received the authentication code, selected it, and successfully logged into my account using Microsoft Edge. Since I faced the same issue before, I believe this method could be the solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Attakorn Saiyasombat 0 Reputation points
    2025-07-24T08:45:37.1533333+00:00

    Same issue here. Started around a week ago. Log in using password is still fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Azeem Cv 56 Reputation points
    2025-07-23T09:14:13.35+00:00

    Today, I installed Firefox. In this browser, it seems to be working.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. Mark Orzechowski 10 Reputation points
    2025-07-22T22:55:47.79+00:00

    I believe the issue can resolved by creating a passkey on your device you're using to access this account.

    I struggled with this now for over a week. I could get in if I used a password and then received a "push" approval from the Microsoft Authenticator. Once I did that in an "in Private" window I was offered the option to create a passkey for future logins. Since I did that I have not had an issue accessing my Outlook.com account.

    Something broke somewhere in the past week or two.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.