How to run In-place upgrade in Windows 11

Lester Bernard Reyes 85,505 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2021-11-13T15:30:36+00:00

How to run an in-place upgrade in Windows 11

In-place upgrade is a process wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair many issues without deleting any files. Usually, it is used to repair corrupted system files, apps, and even incompatible drivers on the system.

You can watch a quick guide on how to perform an in-place upgrade below or continue to follow the steps as listed below. <This line added by Moderator>

How to perform a Windows 11 In-place upgrade | Microsoft - YouTube

Go to Windows 11 website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Under Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) select Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO)

  1. Once done downloading the ISO, kindly right-click on ISO then click Mount> then Click Setup.exe
  2. You may be prompted by User Account Control. If so, click on Yes.
  3. In the Install Windows 11 dialog, click Next.
  4. Setup will check your PC and show a license agreement. Click on Acceptin the license terms dialog.
  5. Wait for the setup program to check for the available free space.
  6. On the Ready to install page, make sure Keep personal files and apps has been checked.
  7. Then click Install and just follow the prompt.
  8. Windows 11 will restart your device several times, and lead you to the lock screen. Depending on the options you set, it will keep all your files, apps, and user accounts.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

20 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-24T14:27:46+00:00

    Oh for sure. I didn't make it clear on that post, but Restoro is basically malware. I would never advise anyone to use any tool like this.

    What I was shocked about is that official MS support advised me to a page where the #1 suggestion was this.

    DO NOT ever spend money on software that claims to do what this claims to do. Sorry to hear you lost your money to it, I just hope you weren't also instructed there by MS live chat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-15T11:42:03+00:00

    Will this delete any installed programs?

    nope cus look at image too btw im scared to install it but ok

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-26T14:01:53+00:00

    Hi,

    I was sent here by microsoft support fix a side-by-side configuration issue. My only problem is, there isn't another browser installed on the PC I'm trying to fix. So how do I go about downloading this?

    Any browser can be used, be that Internet Explorer or Chrome etc. As long as you've got access to the internet, you will be able to do this.

    EDIT: If you mean the computer has no browser at all for some reason, then you can download the ISO file and put it on a USB device. Once that's done, then you will be able to launch that via the BIOS then system startup.

    EDIT #2: You will need access to a computer with a working browser to download this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-01-22T05:04:10+00:00

    I wish I knew. Did you install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware?

    Did you have issues like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ba-7yHHsI

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-24T13:35:43+00:00

    No don't bother buying Restoro as I did that and yes it cleared my registry a bit but no it didnt work and still had the 2022-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5010414) Install error - 0x800f0831.

    So Save you money on that I am going to have to just restore the damn system unfortunately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments