How to run In-place upgrade in Windows 11

Lester Bernard Reyes 85,510 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2021-11-13T15:30:36+00:00

How to run an in-place upgrade in Windows 11

In-place upgrade is a process wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair many issues without deleting any files. Usually, it is used to repair corrupted system files, apps, and even incompatible drivers on the system.

You can watch a quick guide on how to perform an in-place upgrade below or continue to follow the steps as listed below. <This line added by Moderator>

How to perform a Windows 11 In-place upgrade | Microsoft - YouTube

Go to Windows 11 website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Under Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) select Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO)

  1. Once done downloading the ISO, kindly right-click on ISO then click Mount> then Click Setup.exe
  2. You may be prompted by User Account Control. If so, click on Yes.
  3. In the Install Windows 11 dialog, click Next.
  4. Setup will check your PC and show a license agreement. Click on Acceptin the license terms dialog.
  5. Wait for the setup program to check for the available free space.
  6. On the Ready to install page, make sure Keep personal files and apps has been checked.
  7. Then click Install and just follow the prompt.
  8. Windows 11 will restart your device several times, and lead you to the lock screen. Depending on the options you set, it will keep all your files, apps, and user accounts.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

20 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-16T10:53:56+00:00

    How to run In-place upgrade in Windows 11

    Inplace upgrade is a process wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files, usually, it is used to repair corrupted system files, apps, and even incompatible drivers on the system.

    Go to Windows 11 website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

    Under Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) select Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO)

    Image

    1. Once done downloading the ISO, kindly right-click on ISO then click Mount> then Click Setup.exe
    2. You may be prompted by User Account Control. Click on Yesif so
    3. In the Install Windows 11 dialog, click Next
    4. Setup will check your PC and show a license agreement. Click on Acceptin the license terms dialog.
    5. Wait for the setup program to check for the available free space.
    6. On the Ready to install page, make sure Keep personal files and apps have been checked. Image
    7. Then click Install and just follow the prompt.
    8. Windows 11 will restart your device several times, and lead you to the lock screen. Depending on the options you set, it will keep all your files, apps, and user accounts.

    I am desperate, I tried all the solutions I could find, which got me to actually being able to open windows security, but then I had the blank app opening. I downloaded the ISO, installed, but the problem still persists. I have no windows security...

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-21T13:26:58+00:00

    You are welcome.

    This is the only Microsoft support that I know of. Are you contacting support through one of these channels?

    Contact Microsoft Support:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

    Here are the Global Customer Service phone numbers:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

    Yes, I got in touch with them via contactus then obviously the tech support option. It was an online chat box. It was the genuine Microsoft Tech Support (I've got all the screen shots because I was in total shock, I've complained about them).

    I did with my issue speak too soon though, and today even more issues occurred (after a couple updates installed). My start menu will not open, and my search has gone again. Thankfully with me having Windows 11 Pro, I can defer updates, so I will download the ISO again, install that and NOT install any updates.

    Sigh, Windows 11 has broken more times for me this past week than the combined issues I've had since Windows 3.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-01-21T15:59:39+00:00

    You can go back after 10 days but you will have to do a clean install so back up your files.

    How to go back to Windows 10 from Windows 11:

    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-go-back-to-windows-10-if-you-regret-installing

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-21T23:04:17+00:00

    Got an update. So I installed the pending updates after running the ISO file, and as expected my start menu and search has broken.

    The updates that installed that caused this is one of these:

    Image

    Unfortunately it doesn't give me an option to install them one by one, so I can't narrow it any further, but I am 100% certain that this is the cause.

    EDIT: I'm back on W10 now (absolute shame), but everything is working without a hitch. I really didn't want this, but there must be some kind of incompatibility with my hardware, bios, etc combination.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-01-21T15:19:15+00:00

    I suggest going back to Windows 10. To do that you will have to do a clean install. Have you found Windows 11 any better than Windows 10? I like the Windows 11 Start menu but with 3rd party software you can have the Windows 11 Start menu on Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments