cannot create EFI system partition. Error: 0x000036B7 when running mbr2gpt.exe Cannot find what this error means

Anonymous
2023-04-20T13:07:21+00:00

On an ACER Aspire A315 laptop, running Windows 10, I'm trying to convert the BIOS from 'Legacy' to 'UEFI'. When I run mbr2gpt.exe I get "cannot create EFI system partition.  Error: 0x000036B7".

Can someone help me please?

Thanks

David

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

8 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-02T16:49:43+00:00

    I can share good news!

    I shrinked the volume size not only by 200 MB but by 2GB via the "Datenträgerverwaltung".

    After this resizing, MBR2GPT worked well...

    Hope it helps also further users...

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T20:43:01+00:00

    You can also boot into WinRE and run "mbr2gpt /convert"

    Press F8 during boot > repair your computer > Troubleshoot > open CMD prompt > mbr2gpt /convert

    *Disclaimer*

    When you use mbr2gpt, this will likely add an EFI partition to the right side of the C: drive. This will prevent you from expanding your C: drive unless you use a 3rd party tool to move the EFI partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T10:56:47+00:00

    Thanks, I used the free Aomei Partition Assistant,.. This worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments