cannot create EFI system partition. Error: 0x000036B7 when running mbr2gpt.exe Cannot find what this error means

Anonymous
2023-04-20T13:07:21+00:00

On an ACER Aspire A315 laptop, running Windows 10, I'm trying to convert the BIOS from 'Legacy' to 'UEFI'. When I run mbr2gpt.exe I get "cannot create EFI system partition.  Error: 0x000036B7".

Can someone help me please?

Thanks

David

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

8 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T15:02:26+00:00

    Hi Dave,

    Many thanks for your prompt reply; I carried out your instructions but still got the same error after the following lines:

    Attempting to convert disk 0

    Retrieving layout of disk

    Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes

    Backing up the system partition

    Creating the EFI system partition

    After is has failed, the disk is unbootable so I have to clone it from another 'Master' HDD.

    Any other suggestions please?

    David

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-04-20T14:55:20+00:00

    Hi David,

    Just checking in with you, how are you getting on with this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-04-20T13:40:52+00:00

    Hi David,

    I am Dave, I will help you with this.

    Right click your Start Button, and from the resulting menu, open Disk Management

    Then right click the C drive partition and choose 'Shrink'

    Shrink that partition by 200MB

    Then try running mbr2gpt again to see if it is successful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments