Cannot install new system voice packages.

Anonymous
2023-07-17T15:28:01+00:00

I am unable to install new voice packages on my system. I have reviewed some similar questions to this, such as this one. But I have not been able to find any recent information on this issue.

There are two related places of concern:

Settings > Time & language > Speech

Under Manage Voices, the Add voices option does not work. Specifically, when I select a new voice there from the list, a message displays instructing me to reopen Settings for the changes to take effect, however nothing actually changes, and no package is installed.

Settings > Time & language > Language & region

Next, I tried adding languages here via the Add a language button. This time, language downloads began, but failed mid-way.

Following this, returning to Settings > Time & language > Speech now displays entries for the languages that failed to install on the Language & region screen, however they show a size of 0 MB and I am unable to remove them, and their voices are not available:

(Curiously, my original system language of "English (United States) also shows a zero size; I'm not sure if that's atypical.)

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-07-26T01:24:02+00:00

I have voted for your feedback and submitted it to the appropriate team for investigation. It will take some time to investigate and fix this issue, thank you for your patience and understanding.

We appreciate your feedback, please click Yes or No to help us improve the support experience. 

Hope you are keeping safe and well.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

23 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-28T00:38:11+00:00

    I still can't get the language pack voice files to install. They just say 0mb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-25T01:01:30+00:00

    Thank you for your feedback. I have submitted this issue for you through internal channels. In addition, please share the feedback link after submitting, I will submit your feedback to the relevant team for investigation through internal channels. And it will allow others on the forum to vote for your submission, including me. More votes will lead to more visibility and higher priority to the development team. 

    Thank you for your time and effort working on this issue. Hope you are keeping safe and well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-24T14:54:50+00:00

    Thank you. My Windows version is 10.0.22621. I am still unable to remedy the problem with your new suggestion, so I'll try the Feedback Hub per your advice. I appreciate your time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-19T01:55:57+00:00

    Hello DanielJMartinez,

    Thank you for using Microsoft products and posting to the community.

    From the thread you shared I noticed that the original moderator shared the troubleshooting steps he had tried, so I was wondering if you had also tried those troubleshooting steps, but the problem persisted? Confirming this information helps us to avoid providing duplicate troubleshooting steps. So, if you have tried other troubleshooting steps, I would like you to share them with me as well.

    When you choose to add a new voice from the list, an alert message is displayed, which is actually normal, but when you close the settings, nothing changes which is really unusual. And because you tried to download the language pack, which contained the voice pack, you were able to see the voice pack for that language in the voice settings. But because you didn't end up downloading the language pack successfully, even though you can see the language pack, you can't end up using it and deleting it. If you want to delete it, you need to delete the language pack you tried to download.

    The fact that the voice pack for the original system language "English (US)" also shows up as zero, and the fact that you can't install the language packs and voice packs may indeed be related to a problem with Windows Update service. The Windows Components Store is a central repository of files that are used to install, update, and repair Windows components and features. When you install a language pack or add-in, such as an Input Method Editor (IME), Windows uses the Windows Component Store to discover and install the files that you need. If there is a problem or damage to the component store, errors may occur during the installation process.

    Therefore, you can try running the Windows Update troubleshooter.

    Windows Update Troubleshooter - Microsoft Support

    Reset Windows Update components:

    Additional resources for Windows Update - Windows Client | Microsoft Learn

    Or, temporarily pause your antivirus or firewall. Don't forget to turn it on immediately afterwards.

    It is also worth considering creating a local user or administrator account in Windows, performing a clean boot, and using the System File Checker in Windows to eliminate potential interruptions caused by user profiles, background programs, or corrupted system files. These basic troubleshooting measures are broadly applicable and can be tried to resolve a variety of issues.

    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

    Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

    Disclaimer: A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. It helps to determine whether a background service is interfering with your game or program and to isolate the cause of a problem.    These steps of "clean boot" might look complicated at first glance. However, to avoid any trouble for you, please follow them in order and step-by step so that it will help you get back on track.

    Learn more troubleshooting steps here.

    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows - Microsoft Support

    Looking forward to hearing back from you. Please feel free to let me know if you have any further updates, thanks. 

    Sincerely

    Mavis - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments