New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending

Anonymous
2024-03-18T00:04:10+00:00

There's an apparently new feature that is being rolled out by microsoft. It is a new way to connect to your phone. I can not get it to install even though the option is available on my pc. I've contacted microsoft support and instead of solving the problem, they told me to seek help from here.

I am on an MSI GE68 HX 13V. I am running Windows 11 Pro. If you navigate to the settings app, then to bluetooth & devices, then to mobile devices, you should see a new option available directly above the option to turn phone link on. I can turn the option on. When I do it tells me it has to install cross device experience host but then nothing happens and it simply says pending under the on switch. Please see screenshots.

I'm hoping someone out there can help me because Microsoft failed 3 times today.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

18 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-24T04:20:27+00:00

    same here I have exactly the same issues as oldschool, have tried the cmd line option with same result. yes Im on the insider programme.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T17:56:32+00:00

    I'm having the same problem as OP. It says it needs to update the Cross Device Experience Host.

    Mine is slightly different though.

    When I turn on "Allow this PC to access your mobile devices" or I click "Manage Devices", I get the following error:

    I used your windows command and I get the following:

    C:\Windows\System32>winget install 9NTXGKQ8P7N0

    Found an existing package already installed. Trying to upgrade the installed package...

    No available upgrade found.

    No newer package versions are available from the configured sources.

    So, one says I need an upgrade, the other says I don't need an upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. SD - IA 180.9K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-03-18T02:45:20+00:00

    Hi Mitch,

    I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

    See if installing it through winget helps.

    In the Windows search,

    type cmd, right-click it, and choose run as administrator.

    execute

    winget install 9NTXGKQ8P7N0

    Press yes when prompted and let me know.

    Hope that helps, and rely on us for any further inquiries. All the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments