CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file taking up all of my hard drive space - how do I delete or fix?

Anonymous
2024-04-21T11:34:23+00:00

There is a single file called CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal taking up 122.1GB of hard drive space and now windows is unable to run properly due to lack of hard drive space. When I delete other files this one just grows in size and quickly grabs up the newly freed space.

I do not want to try and delete it if it will mess up my system and do not even know if I can and am wondering what other options if any I have.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

12 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T20:23:32+00:00

    I ended up disabling then stopping the Capabilityaccessmanager service. I was then able to delete CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal. Started the service and haven't heard a peep from the 5 users I did this for. So, I assume all is well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T20:15:54+00:00

    same. treesize identified CapabilityAccessManager as 125gb

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T16:16:44+00:00

    Did you ever resolve this? I have ran into 5 users with storage drives nearly full. When looking into what's causing this, it's ended up being their CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file being extremely large.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-26T13:48:05+00:00

    I have not used an emulator at all. I think it is location data being stored in that file for an app I had. The cleanup is not removing the large file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-26T12:44:18+00:00

    Have you done Android emulation or Android development on PC? Because this could potentially lead to the generation of similar cache files.

    The above link works on Windows systems and only deletes system cache data, not your personal data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments