CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file taking up all of my hard drive space - how do I delete or fix?

Anonymous
2024-04-21T11:34:23+00:00

There is a single file called CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal taking up 122.1GB of hard drive space and now windows is unable to run properly due to lack of hard drive space. When I delete other files this one just grows in size and quickly grabs up the newly freed space.

I do not want to try and delete it if it will mess up my system and do not even know if I can and am wondering what other options if any I have.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

12 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-10T23:19:44+00:00

    I wrote this PowerShell script to kill the services that hold those files open and then delete the files.

    Write-Output "Stop the 'Capability Access Manager Service'" $id = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service -Filter "Name='camsvc'" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProcessIdWrite-Output "Found service with process id: $id"

    $process = Get-Process -Id $idStop-Process $process.Id -Force -VerboseStart-Sleep 5 -Verbose

    Write-Output "Stop the 'SuperFetch (SysMain) Service'"$id = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service -Filter "Name='SysMain'" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProcessIdWrite-Output "Found service with process id: $id"

    Write-Output "Stop the 'Geolocation Service'"$id = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service -Filter "Name='lfsvc'" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProcessIdWrite-Output "Found service with process id: $id"

    Write-Output "Delete the large files from: 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\CapabilityAccessManager'"Remove-Item "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\CapabilityAccessManager\*"Start-Sleep 5 -Verbose

    Write-Output "Re-start the 'Capability Access Manager Service'"Start-Service -Name "camsvc"Start-Sleep 5 -Verbose

    Write-Output "Re-start the 'SuperFetch (SysMain) Service'"Start-Service -Name "SysMain"Start-Sleep 5 -Verbose

    Write-Output "Re-start the 'Geolocation Service'"Start-Service -Name "lfsvc"Start-Sleep 5 -Verbose

    Write-Output "Done"

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T10:19:12+00:00

    It seems this problem has something to do with Windows Location Services. If I disable that in Windows Settings, then the file stops growing and I can delete it. However, once I reenable that feature, which I need for certain applications to work, the files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\CapabilityAccessManager start to continuously grow again.

    Microsoft, please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T12:10:35+00:00

    You will have to make your account owner of that folder. Back out of the CapabilityAccessManager folder, then right click on it and go to Properties.

    Go to the security tab then click advanced, then at the top where you see owner, next to it, there's a change button. Then make your account owner. Then at the bottom add your account to have full access to the folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T20:47:29+00:00

    Please help us fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T20:46:29+00:00

    How were you able to delete the file?

    If I try to delete it, it says I don't have permissions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments