I can't activate windows

Anonymous
2024-08-14T18:35:12+00:00

Hey, I have this issue that I can't activate my Windows 11. Apparently I don't have a product key, even though the laptop was store bought. I can't access many options yet I can't activate it. Help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ferdinand Nanalig 33,405 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-08-14T21:46:43+00:00

Thank you for the screenshots.

I see that you have Volume_KMS Client license.

VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel means that you have an invalid license key. This type of key normally belongs to an organization with multiple computers activated with this KMS key using a KMS host. This type of key is not for personal use and not for resale.

You may need to buy a legit license either from the Microsoft Store or the Microsoft web store or to any authorized resellers.

I would advise you to contact the store where you bought the computer and ask if they can still provide you with a valid license key if that is included in your original purchase, also provide them with the original receipt.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

5 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Neil D 34,430 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-08-15T07:10:01+00:00

    Using a KMS licence hack is a way of a seller providing a licence but is not valid or legal from a licencing point of view. Depending on how much you paid and if it included a windows licence will depend on if you are able to complaint with the seller.

    If the seller just provided the windows installation it did not include the licence in the cost. A Pro edition licence is the most expensive between Home and Pro.

    If the licence has expired the Store will show the cost of a valid licence from Microsoft. Via Settings > System > Activation > Go to Store. Otherwise you will need to go to Microsoft online in your region to buy a licence.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-14T21:30:31+00:00

    Yes, it was installed by the shop worker. No, it doesn't show a key. But there is a key inside the pc I saw via Registry editor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Neil D 34,430 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-08-14T21:14:53+00:00

    The current volume licence is not valid for a personal user. Did you have Windows 11 Pro installed on the laptop when you bought it.

    Open a command prompt (Admin) and enter

    wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey [press return] does it display a 25 character licence key.?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-14T20:50:47+00:00

    Hi, thanks for answering. I indeed did try troubleshooting, but it gave me the error 0x8007007b. Lower there are the screenshots you need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments