Unable to activate Windows after reinstallation

Anonymous
2025-02-12T17:34:13+00:00

After deleting Windows 11 and reinstalling it on a different SSD on the same computer, I am unable to activate my license.

I bought Windows 10 licence online on official Microsoft web page years ago. One year ago I upgraded system to Windows 11 with no issue. After reinstalling the Windows, activation always fails even if I am logged into my Microsoft account and I can see Windows purchasein my order history. I also removed the previous PC installation entry from my MS account, so I am not using same licence on multiple devices.

I tried all the automatically suggested solutions, but nothing helped to fix the issue. I am also unable to use the option to detect PC as a previous device, since I already removed it from the list on my Microsoft account. I can't even use the product key, since I don't see it anywhere on my account and I probably own only a digital version of the licence.

Can anyone help me solve this issue, please?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS_726 30,355 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-02-12T19:14:00+00:00

Hello,

When you purchase a license from Microsoft, it is a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.

If you need to transfer this license to a new installation, even on the same hardware due to a reinstall, it is crucial that you do not remove the previous installation from your Microsoft account. The Activation Troubleshooter relies on the old installation to verify and transfer the license. If the previous installation has been removed from your Microsoft account, the tool will not be able to locate the old device, preventing the transfer.

In this case, you will need to either:

Enter the 25-digit product key that was provided when you purchased the license, or

Contact Microsoft Support for manual activation.

If you no longer have the product key, you can use the Get Help app to connect with Microsoft Support, who can assist you with activation.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-13T19:57:09+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for the quick response. I managed to retrieve the key from 10 years old screenshot on my old laptop and activate the system successfully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. EmilyS_726 30,355 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-13T20:19:38+00:00

    I am so glad you still have the key. Glad everything is good now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-14T00:34:23+00:00

    I am so glad you still have the key. Glad everything is good now.

    Help you out with that I

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments