Class not registered when cmd wsl --install

Anonymous
2025-03-04T09:18:31+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to install WSL on my Windows 11 system but when I try wsl --install I get the following error:

PS C:\Users\abdul> wsl --install

Class not registered

Error code: Wsl/CallMsi/Install/REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG

I have enabled virtualisation on my firmware and in the GUI for addition features.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Francisco Montilla 30,725 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-03-04T12:53:30+00:00

Hi Abdulla,

Try installing WSL from the Microsoft's GitHub repo. This is proven to solve the issue you are experiencing:

https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/releases/

Let me know how it goes!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T13:07:15+00:00

    Hi Francisco,

    Thanks very much! I've been stuck on this problem for a few days now!

    Thanks,

    Abdulla

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments