HP Laptop Windows 10 blocks a Microsoft Diagcab WinSecurity.exe

Anonymous
2025-04-27T14:04:39+00:00

Greeting,

I'm trying to fix the current problem along with Copilot it's been two days and with every step we take my HP ENVY Laptops system I believe Windows Security is inside some Firewall rule when I download WinSecurity from the Microsoft website the Diagcab gets Blocked. It gives a message that it has blocked the download for security reasons but doesn't explain why except to say it could be malicious. I had that same Diagcab download two nights ago that we somehow unblocked I forget exactly how and when we ran it although everything in Windows Security is set to the proper settings and so is the firewall best to my knowledge and Copilot's knowledge when I ran the WinSecurity.exe (the Diagcab) it states Unable to recognize your Firewall. Windows Defender is not your Default Firewall which it is I have no other programs that have any security capabilities so I deleted the WinSecurity Diagcab thinking maybe somehow it became corrupt. I went back to the Microsoft website to re-download the WinSecurity Diagcab, which was blocked. This is sort of a two-part question the 1st being how do I get that Diagcab to download without being blocked and 2: why do you think it's not recognizing a Firewall built by the same company?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-05-05T13:44:22+00:00

Hi Barry,

  1. Edge blocks most Microsoft diagcab files. Chrome downloads them fine.

Since it's a legit MS file, click the "Keep" option on the Downloads page in Edge.

Image

  1. Run the tool and post the troubleshooting report in text or image format.

Image

  1. Also, does Windows Firewall work correctly on your computer? You can check its status by running "firewall.cpl" from the Start-Run dialog.

Image

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

7 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-03T21:51:35+00:00

    Hello Lonex,

    I've been sick for about two days and tonight I'm just getting around to this. One thing that I have difficulty with is before I start the beginning where it reads:

    > Verify Windows Defender Firewall is Actually Running

    Open Command Prompt (Admin) and run:

    powershell

    Get-Service | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -like "*Windows Defender Firewall*"}

    Although I just used PowerShell for the first time the other night it's much like Command Prompt and when you say at the beginning Open Command Prompt (Admin) and run: run what? I'm assuming the following line powershell is to direct me to open PowerShell and type into it Get-Service ..... Unless there's a prompt powershell to run in CMD I believe I'm missing something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-05T13:27:15+00:00

    Hi BARRY G.VARGUS Sr.

    Thank you for your reply.

    Glad you're feeling well enough to get back to this! You’re absolutely right to want to clarify the steps. Let’s break it down.

    When the instruction says "Open Command Prompt (Admin) and run:", it means:

    Open Command Prompt as Administrator

    Press Win + R, type cmd, and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run it as admin.

    Run PowerShell from Within Command Prompt

    In the admin Command Prompt, type:

    cmd

    powershell

    This temporarily switches Command Prompt into PowerShell mode.

    Run the Firewall Check Command

    Once in PowerShell mode within CMD, enter:

    powershell

    Get-Service | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -like "*Windows Defender Firewall*"}

    Press Enter to check if Windows Defender Firewall is actively running.

    Alternatively, if you'd rather skip opening Command Prompt first, you can directly open PowerShell as administrator instead:

    Press Win + X, then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

    Run the Get-Service command from there.

    This should give you the firewall status you need. Hope that clears up the confusion!

    Best Regards,

    Lonex P.

    Microsoft Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-05T14:44:17+00:00

    Hello Lonex,

    You seem very familiar with Windows, so I hope you don't mind me asking a question related to all my problems. A Microsoft agent wouldn't even connect me to a Windows Security specialist because of the following situation.

    A few days ago, a Windows agent advised me to use the Media Creation Tool to install a new Windows 10, supposedly to resolve my security problems. I used it; however, instead of installing Windows 10, it installed Windows 11. Since I didn't want Windows 11, I had to roll back to Windows 10. Unfortunately, the security problems persisted in both Windows 11 and the rolled-back Windows 10.

    Not only is the Firewall not being recognized by the diagcab (which is the least of my worries), but items are still being blocked. Worse, the Windows 11 installation introduced two new problems:

    There's an Administrator account on the computer that was never there before.

    Somehow, I was enrolled in the Windows 11 Insider Preview edition. This interferes with Windows Updates, as the button prompts me to read and accept terms or close to deny. Clicking deny doesn't make it go away, and unlinking my account also doesn't resolve it. None of the suggested solutions I've found work.

    Consequently, I can't get Windows Updates because the Insider prompt is in the way. The Windows support representative said they couldn't connect me with a Windows Security specialist because they can't troubleshoot systems with the Insider Preview. When I asked how to remove it, she simply directed me to an Insider community forum for help.

    I've explored that forum, and there are countless questions and answers with very few effective workarounds. The few solutions that worked for some users haven't worked for the majority who tried them. It feels like it will take another week of long days just to try and get rid of this Insider Preview that Microsoft installed but doesn't seem to know how to remove.

    Now I'm worried about my computer not receiving updates, potentially failing completely, and everything being blocked due to these security issues. This whole situation started because a Windows 10 installation unexpectedly installed Windows 11, and now they claim they can't do a remote session to fix the Windows Security or remove the Insider Preview they put on my system.

    I was hoping you might have encountered this before or have some ideas.

    Thanks,

    Barry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments