Explorer wont stop scrolling up or down when I'm selecting multiple files

Anonymous
2025-04-11T18:25:45+00:00

Explorer wont stop scrolling up or down when I'm selecting multiple files, when i let go of the left click it keeps scrolling.

I have tried:

  • Resetting explorer.
  • Uninstalling mouse & keyboard drivers.
  • Updating mouse & keyboard drivers.
  • Using another mouse.
  • Using a different USB port.
  • Uninstalling latest windows update.

I am using windows 10, and had this issue before and managed to resolved it but forget how it was done, and cant find answers online. I had a windows update yesterday and the problem is back again. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have a lot to do that i need to select multiple files at once. Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Estrella721 46,685 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-04-12T20:11:57+00:00

Thank you for the reply. In this case, try a repair in-place upgrade while keeping your files and apps. This helps fix or replace any corrupted files that may be causing the problem.

Note: Before doing so, unplug all unnecessary external peripherals connected to your PC, and temporarily disable any third-party antivirus program to avoid interference.

  1. Click the 'Download now' button under 'Create Windows 10 Installation Media' and save it to your computer: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/win...
  2. Run the downloaded file and select 'Yes' when prompted by User Account Control (UAC).
  3. Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms if you agree.
  4. On the 'What do you want to do?' screen, select 'Upgrade this PC now' and click 'Next.'

(This stage will download, verify, and create the Windows 10 or 11 installation media.) It will take some time to complete.

  1. Under 'Choose what to keep,' select 'Keep personal files and apps,' then click 'Next.'
  2. Click 'Install,' and the installation will begin. (This process will take some time, so please be patient.)

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

8 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-20T13:46:48+00:00

    Hi Estrella, after your latest advice I have finally solved this issue. This was doing my head in so much, and was such an inconvenience too. So thank you so much for your very helpful & well explained advice.

    Thank you 🙏

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Estrella721 46,685 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-04-14T17:03:59+00:00

    Thanks for getting back to me, and no worries at all, I completely understand how busy things can get.

    The repair in-place upgrade should address this by refreshing Windows system files while keeping your apps and files intact. It’s a comprehensive fix that often resolves unusual or persistent issues like the one you're experiencing.

    I'll be looking forward to your next update. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-14T14:33:56+00:00

    Thank you very much for your reply. I'm only getting back to you now as I've had a busy weekend. I will try this over the next few days when I get the chance, as I need to use the computer before then and don't know how long this could take me.

    One thing I've noticed since is, this problem is only happening now when I'm selecting image's, it used to happen when I was selecting mp3 files etc. too, but only happening when selecting images now. Not sure if that narrows the troubleshooting down in any way?

    When I had this issue previously, it was when I was selecting lots of mp3 files at a time. So the fix that worked before probably worked for those files types, so that would explain why the fix I found before didn't work this time around.

    I shall report back once I get to try out your latest advice. Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Estrella721 46,685 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-04-12T21:29:45+00:00

    Please follow the instructions above to perform a repair in-place upgrade. This should resolve the issue. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments