Startup apps option is missing from settings but it is in Task Manager.

Anonymous
2024-01-09T11:34:54+00:00

Since a month or so, I have been trying to find a solution but I can't find it. I have tried methods like sfc and DISM scan. I have also deleted and remade the folder for startup apps but nothing helps. Though it is missing from settings, I can still find it in task manager. Is it due to a windows update? If not what should I do so that the setting re appears.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-01-10T15:50:56+00:00

Hi Pranav,

Please try this policies registry fix to resolve the issue. Download and run the REG file. Click Yes to confirm.

Reference:

Startup Apps Option Missing in Settings in Windows 10 or 11:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/startup-apps-option-missing-settings/

Hopefully, it should bring back the "Startup" option under "Apps".

Additionally, if you'd like to have a thorough checkup for malware, do the following:

(How-To: Share OneDrive files and folders - Microsoft Support)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

5 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T13:18:43+00:00

    Hi Ramesh,

    I ran the registry file you sent and the startup app option was back again in the settings. Thank you so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. John DeV 170.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-10T22:39:41+00:00

    If the issue still persists, please try performing an In-place Upgrade. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while your personal files, settings and installed applications will not be removed.

    Few things to check on the PC

    **Unplug all external peripherals except for the Mouse, Keyboard, and LAN cable before starting

    **Disable or uninstall any 3rd party Anti-Virus program to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade

    Download the media creation tool(Click Download tool now) and save it to your computer.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

    Open the tool and select Upgrade this PC now.

    Make sure to select Keep personal files and apps.

    It might take some time to install Windows 10. Your computer will restart a few times, Make sure you don’t turn off your PC

    Kind regards,

    John DeV

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T14:42:46+00:00

    Hi John DeV! Thank you so much for your help. I have tried all the methods you have mentioned above but still the startup apps option is missing from the settings. What bothers me is that is it some system fault/corruption or a windows update or some virus doing such stuff.

    Thank you,

    Pranav

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. John DeV 170.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-09T12:05:54+00:00

    Hi, good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

    Please try the following methods below.

    **Restart Windows Explorer

    Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.

    Select the Processes tab.

    Scroll down and select Windows Explorer, Right click then select Restart.

    **Please try to run SFC and DISM to check for any system errors and corrupted files.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/usi...

    After that, restart your computer

    **Press Start then right click Settings

    Select App settings

    Click Terminate > Repair > Reset

    **Re-register Settings app and built-in apps via PowerShell

    Windows key+X then select Windows PowerShell (Admin)

    copy and paste the commands below one at a time then press Enter. Please ignore the red errors and let the process complete.

    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name windows.immersivecontrolpanel | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    Restart your Computer

    Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

    Kind regards,

    John DeV

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments