Error 1297 -Windows audio service will not start.

Anonymous
2011-06-28T23:29:25+00:00

Original title:error1297

Windows audio service will not start.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-06-29T15:25:26+00:00

Hi ToddRowland,

1)      Since when are you facing this issue?

2)      Do you recall making any changes?

Always quote the complete error message you receive.


Make sure “Windows Audio Service” is started. To do this, follow these steps:

a)      Click on Start-Run, type services.msc, the click on OK.

b)      When the Services window loads, navigate to the “Windows Audio Service “, the double click on it to open it.

c)       Make sure the "Startup Type" says "Automatic" and started. If it doesn't, use the drop down menu to change it.

d)      Go to the Log on Tab and make sure that the 'Local System account' option is selected along with the 'Allow service to interact with desktop' box.

For more information, please see the link below

No sound inWindows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

4 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-09T14:24:23+00:00

    I have had the same issue and have tried all of the steps to resolve with no resolution. Same hardware works fine with Windows XP. Vista, Win 7, and every distribution of Linux I Dual boot to.

    Also why is the only option available here:   Was this helpful "Yes"  there is no "No" button.  Do you only want the positive feedback - as developers should you not look at the problems first to resolve prior to updating a full blown distribution that will probably be forced to people once other distributions of Windows will not be supported?  .  - when you offer the $40 upgrade to more old XP users that have no hardware support you may want to and the "No" button this is not useful. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure

    Windows 8 should support audio for everyone without administrative access or special rights.  You think someone will think a fix like this is even user friendly at all?

    "

    If you are getting error 1297 when starting the Audio service, try the following:

    -On the Start page, type services.msc. 

    -Go to Windows Audio.

    -Under the Log on Tab, make sure This account - Local Service is selected.

    -Now go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy.

    -Expand Local Policies > User Rights Assignment.

    -On the right pane, scroll to Create global objects and verify if LOCAL SERVICEis listed under this user right. If not, double click and select Add User or Group and type in LOCAL SERVICE and click OK. 

    -Reboot and try again to start the Windows Audio Service from Services. 

    -If still not working, type cmd on the start page, right-click on the program and selectRun as administrator.

    -Run the following command and try again the Audio service:

      secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

    -Restart the machine.

    Let us know if this helps."  No it does not help.

    And once I open the CMD prompt how do I "run as an administrator" in these directions?  This is not working for me and I am familiar with the same option in other versions by right hand clicking an icon while holding shift - and selecting Run as administrator"  Why the change.

    I am an IT professional and work on many different operating systems so I will be forced into using Windows 8. I am frustrated with the Windows 8  "Improvements????" 

    I also work for a fortune 500 company and my suggestion is to get rid of our reliance on Windows before we are forced to upgrade everything to meet a single operating systems needs.

    What to do with equipment that is still functional on other operating system but not Windows 8.  Shall we just keep upgrading hardware at out own expense and let the landfills get filled up with functional hardware that MS will no longer support?

    The worst part is that I have always been a MS supporter and I hope to have some resolution to these issues.  Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-09T17:05:04+00:00

    Root problem - the original account that was already set up as an administrator upon installation did not have the proper rights to activate the audio LOL.  This was the only account on the operating system and it did show up as an administrator.  

    MS support - you need to work on this very annoying problem before release or you are going to turn many away from your product.

    This should not require hours of Google search and hacking into the system via a command prompt.  Sad also that Google did provide more help than MS support.  Who did not even respond before I was able to solve on my own.  I feel sorry for those not familiar with the CMD window and commands. (Which is the majority of the Windows users I already know)

    If I want to sit and look up command prompt scripts I will just use linux terminal and forgo the 'upgrade'

    WINDOWS always = easy.

    I feel the intense sense of urgency from the MS team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-25T15:41:35+00:00

    Hello Corrancorbett,

    Have you already attempted all of the troubleshooting in Ajay's post?

    If so, I would suggest creating a new thread on this issue to better get the attention of the community:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/sound

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-19T08:01:56+00:00

    I am unable to start it when i try to start after doing all above it says unable to start 

    It says error 1297: aprivilige that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configration , you may use the MMC snap-in and the local security to view the service configration and the account configration

    I had it on Windows 8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments