2 available drives on protection settings RECOVERY and OS (C) System and restore points

Anonymous
2010-06-28T23:41:50+00:00

Greetings! I am very confused and need help. Just was looking for my restore points.

I am looking at the system protection, I clicked on system protection and under protection setting I have

2 available drives on protection settings RECOVERY (looks like folder sign) and OS (C:) System

RECOVERY protection: off

OS (C:) System Protection is on. I clicked on configure I have check mark on Restore system setting and previous version of files. Max. Usage 2% (10.00GB) , current usage 962.89MB

Now, my question is this , should Recovery protection be ON? When I click on configure , the check mark is  'Turn off system protection"

Is this the right configuration? Please help. I hope I am not confusing you either.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-29T01:02:42+00:00

No, do not turn System Protection on for the System Recovery drive. That is locked and only should be used when you need to do a factory restoration (which reinstalls the operating system). Just keep System Restore turned on for the System partition on which your Windows installation exist.


Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-01T23:26:29+00:00

Hi maincoon11,

Restore points are created automatically every week, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually.

For more information about System Restore, see What is System Restore?

Also refer:

System Restore: frequently asked questions

Hope this information helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-30T21:10:43+00:00

    Hi ,

    I don't know how it happened , but I have ON - System Protection on for the System Recovery drive.  How do I switch it off without loosing any files? Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-29T14:59:05+00:00

    Thank you so much!!!! This settles my question.

    Also one more question, if you don/t mind I have deleted old restore points when unneeded uninstalled programs were purged. I left the most recent point, and created the other manually.When do the machine create more restore points?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments