Can't add printer. Print Spooler crashes. Error code 0x000006be

Anonymous
2009-09-03T02:14:45+00:00

So, I've spent several hours working on this problem and nothing seems to help. 

I have Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.  Whenever I try to add a printer, check server properties, or anything else related to printing, I simply get the error "windows can't add printer [or "server properties cannot be viewed']. The local print spooler service is not running.  Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

When I restart the spooler via administration tools/services or the command prompt (this is supposedly successful) and try to add a printer again, I receive the error message "Operation cannot be completed (error 0x000006be)" and the spooler promptly crashes again.  This just started happening suddenly, and not because I tried to install any certain printer.  If it helps, I have been using a Dell Photo Printer 720, but I have used it in the past with the same system, OS, and driver without problems.

I have searched for solutions everywhere, and so far have removed any traces of printer drivers from the system in case a corrupted file is crashing the spooler. 

So far, I have:

 1. Removed any printers that could be uninstalled from Add and Remove Programs

 2. Cleared out the Windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86and **Windows\system32\spool\printers**folders

 3. Removed subkeys in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printersregistry keys

 4. Removed non-default subkeys in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitorsregistry key

Is there anything else that I could possibly do to fix this problem?  Is it possible the spooler app itself has a problem?  Or am I missing something that is messing it up?  Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-03T10:15:22+00:00

Hello urrghhvista,

Try this:

  1. Click Start> Select Control Panel> In Programs And Features> select Turn Windows Features On Or Off.
  2. Click + sign of Print Services.
  3. Select LPD and LPR. You should remove Internet Printing Client. Restart your PC to ensure there is no error in the spooler service.
  4. Try to install your printer driver/software again.

Hope this helps you. Let us know either way. Make it a great day!


"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make" (The Beatles last song from thier last album, Abbey Road.)

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

9 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-10T16:37:55+00:00

    jmackd,

    It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question. Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/threads

    Thank you


    Chris

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-21T17:54:10+00:00

    You can create local printer that copies the files to the share for the

    printer rather than create an RPC connection to queue.

    Create local printer

    Create a Local Port in the format \remotemachine\printsharename

    Add the ImageClass driver (pickup the Vista driver for your OS architecture

    from Dell Photo Printer)

    Next Next Finish

    this will basically just copy.


    Телепаты вымерли, так же давно как и динозавры, поэтому пишем подробно: 1.Проблема, ошибка, сообщение об ошибке. 2.Какой Windows, редакция, разрядность, язык, SP. 3.Если проблема с девайсом - его название, модель, версия драйверов. 4.Как давно проблема появилась? 5.Что делали перед тем, как проблема возникла?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-22T10:33:22+00:00

    Hey man, did you ever sort this out. I have the same problem on Windows 7

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-02T15:46:05+00:00

    Are you trying to connect to print queue hosted on Windows XP, Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server while your operating system is Windows Vista or Windows 2000 Server client? You may receive Error 0x000006be.

    On client system users are either logged in using an Administrator account OR User account. In some cases system is not able to establish connection with the print. Following is the error message when you are logged on with Administrator Account.

    Connect to Printer

    Windows cannot connect to the printer.

    Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006be).

    Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server.

    And when you are Logged On using User Account, you receive

    for more info visit

    Fix Printer Error 0x000006be

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments