Why does outlook hang waiting for javascript to run in Edge?

Anonymous
2024-01-30T16:33:10+00:00

I'm running a linux workstation, fedora. I'm using Edge Version 122.0.2353.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

I can't access the outlook web access, available here: https://outlook.office.com/

The page will respond, load initially but after about 30 seconds, it will stop responding to clicks and other user generated events.

Soon, I'll get the "This page is not responding ... Exit Page | Wait" that comes up when javascript is spinning hard and blocking the thread.

I had used Outlook as a PWA for a while, maybe since November of last year but I think starting January it's started doing this.

I first noticed it after coming back from work and outlook just wasn't responding then showed the popup.

Things I've tried:

* Submitting feedback via the "submit feedback" function in the help menu'

* Clearing all storage, cache, cookies

* Deleting the service workers tied to the application

It works properly in Firefox... haven't tried Chrome.

ALSO, it seems that "linux" isn't shown as an option under "Operating System" -- I've selected "Android" as it seems the closest.

Microsoft Edge | Browser crashes or stops working | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

16 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T08:57:05+00:00

    Hi Tyler Waters,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    Due to restricted machine environment, we are not in a position to perform further tests on Linux systems.

    I wish I could handle your problem, however, the analysis of software in the Linux environment is beyond our current technical reserves.

    We are not familiar with command operations in a Linux environment and can provide very limited steps.

    • For example, uninstall and reconfigure the PWA application. edge://apps/
    • It may still be worth testing whether the situation remains the same with a new Profile. (Do not sign in to your Microsoft account in your browser's Profile to avoid the potential impact of extensions.) edge://settings/profiles
    • Content in this link mentioned older version of Edge for Business. Download Edge for Business (microsoft.com)
    • Check to see whether the phenomenon is limited to Outlook, or check to see if it's limited to browsers with the Chromium kernel (such as Chrome you mentioned).

    If possible, the communities mentioned below are usually more recommended for consulting on such advanced questions.

    If I misunderstand your situation, feel free to correct me and share the information.

    Best Regards,

    Kyo - MSFT | Microsoft Community Technical Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments