Why does outlook hang waiting for javascript to run in Edge?

Anonymous
2024-01-30T16:33:10+00:00

I'm running a linux workstation, fedora. I'm using Edge Version 122.0.2353.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

I can't access the outlook web access, available here: https://outlook.office.com/

The page will respond, load initially but after about 30 seconds, it will stop responding to clicks and other user generated events.

Soon, I'll get the "This page is not responding ... Exit Page | Wait" that comes up when javascript is spinning hard and blocking the thread.

I had used Outlook as a PWA for a while, maybe since November of last year but I think starting January it's started doing this.

I first noticed it after coming back from work and outlook just wasn't responding then showed the popup.

Things I've tried:

* Submitting feedback via the "submit feedback" function in the help menu'

* Clearing all storage, cache, cookies

* Deleting the service workers tied to the application

It works properly in Firefox... haven't tried Chrome.

ALSO, it seems that "linux" isn't shown as an option under "Operating System" -- I've selected "Android" as it seems the closest.

Microsoft Edge | Browser crashes or stops working | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

16 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-19T18:55:01+00:00

    Updated to Microsoft Edge 124.0.2478.51

    So far so good, almost 1 hour of continuous run :D (I'm crying)

    Background, same as others. Hangs on PWA or Edge tab. 30sec to a min since owa was open. Works great on Chrome Tabbed or PWA.

    Pop_OS! 20.04

    EDIT: 7-May-2024

    Started to hang again... 30 sec and you can't do a thing.

    Microsoft Edge 124.0.2478.51 (Official build) (64-bit)
    Revision e23a9b7d0a14cd45f7a5324b61f0c57561757bb3
    Chromium version 124.0.6367.61
    Operating system Linux
    JavaScript V8 12.4.22.5
    User agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/124.0.0.0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-15T13:24:29+00:00

    I disabled everything under settings => smart suggestions. That seems to help, but I also deleted all cookies to get to the settings. Usually deleting cookies helps temporarily. Since I disabled the smart suggestions I didn't have to reset cookies the entire day though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T02:58:50+00:00

    Same for me on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS.

    Chrome seems to be fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-06T14:25:17+00:00

    Same issue here. Outlook PWA freezes Edge, and in Chrome I get SIGBUS error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-27T16:01:01+00:00

    It seems hit or miss for me whether the problem triggers or not.

    Due to hit/miss nature of it, and the fact that completely purging cache/etc. and still hitting the issue says to me it's a product problem.

    One of my co-workers let me know they hit the same thing with Chrome - others in this thread have said as much as well.

    My speculation: some kind of a/b test targeting webkit-based browsers that has gone awry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments