Read Aloud doesn't work on my Macbook

Anonymous
2024-03-15T00:15:09+00:00

Read Aloud feature no longer works on my Macbook. I am disabled and I use it to read PDFs for school.

I think the issue is related to my account sync and the Microsoft Online voice options. The times when my Read Aloud suddenly starts working or stops working coincides with when I use Read Aloud on my Windows desktop computer at work. It also stops when I try to change the selected Voice on my Mac.

After it stops working, whenever I try to start Read Aloud, the bar appears and just continues "loading", and everything is greyed out.

I'm working on a 2019 Macbook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Android

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

6 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-14T19:21:43+00:00

    I have the same problem and none of the suggestions to fix it did not work.

    I found something that worked. Download an extension to Microsoft Edge. In Microsoft Edge click:

    ...>extensions>Get Extensions

    Then search for "read aloud." Download the one that looks like a bullhorn. Add the Extension to you ribbon.

    The "read aloud" voice uses Mac's default voice. But the Microsoft voice options are located at the bottom of the list-- or you can download your own.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T05:38:56+00:00

    If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-16T07:36:24+00:00

    I will send feedback. You may be correct about possible macOS obsolescence- maybe updating my Edge browser wasn't a wise move. I'm not sure since Read Aloud had been working just fine on my Mac in the past. Thanks for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-16T04:50:44+00:00

    The performance of Edge on Mac is not as robust as its Windows counterpart. There may not be any other good solution than to simply not log into your Microsoft account on your Mac. Although not logging in does not impede the use of the text-to-speech feature, your settings won't sync and you'll need to manually choose the voice.

    Alternatively, providing feedback to the developers could potentially lead to future improvents:

    Image

    Furthermore, while Edge currently supports macOS Catalina 10.15.4, its compatibility with future system updates remains uncertain. Apple consistently mandates software developers to adapt to their progress, leading to the gradual obsoletion of older versions with the release of a new version. Consequently, Edge must also evolve accordingly. Even if you have no immediate plans to upgrade your system, it is important to consider the potential need for a change in computers in the future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-15T23:16:48+00:00

    Hi Yuhao,

    I'm very sure network connectivity is not the problem. The problem persists regardless of how strong my connection happens to be at the time, not to mention I have very good high speed internet access at work and home. I have already updated Edge and turned off all extensions and all flags.

    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but even the most recent Edge update should still be compatible with macOS 10.15 and above. Updating to the newest macOS on this Mac device is not possible.

    As I stated: The only action that has had ANY effect so far on the Read Aloud feature on my Mac, for the past several months, is opening and using Read Aloud in an Edge browser that is logged onto my account on a Windows desktop. I'm sure that using it on the desktop browser (which always works) updates the account's saved Read Aloud settings due to account sync. When I open Read Aloud on my Mac after using it on the desktop, it will work normally as it used to for a short period, using the last voice and speed I used on the desktop. However, as soon as I try to change the voice/speed, or even if I accidentally scroll away from the page while Read Aloud is running, it stops working.

    This is why I'm so focused on the two different devices and the account sync aspect, even if it's not related to the source of the problem. It's literally the only action that I've observed to have had any effect on the feature at all.

    Thanks for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments