Forced Colors flag missing from Microsoft Edge

Anonymous
2025-06-28T17:30:35+00:00

After today’s Microsoft Edge update (version 138.0.3351.55), the option to disable the system theme within the browser has disappeared.In my case, I’m using a Dark High Contrast theme in Windows.

Previously, I was able to prevent Edge from following the system theme (such as high contrast) by disabling the Forced Colors flag. Now, that option is no longer available.

I would like to keep using my system-wide high contrast theme in Windows, but exclude Microsoft Edge from following it.

Is there any way to achieve this now?

Microsoft Edge | Other | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-28T22:50:17+00:00

Sure.

Please open edge://flags page.

You should see an option to temporarily unexpire Edge137 flags.

Enable that and this color flag should appear again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

4 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-29T13:09:55+00:00

    Thank you Eufine. I wish I had an answer for you, but maybe in the future updates it would come as an option. If you leave the feedback between ALT+SHIFT+I they would reply to you what is the future :)

    To assist others facing similar issues, please consider rating the thread. The Microsoft Community is always here to help with any questions regarding Microsoft products.

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-29T10:27:55+00:00

    It worked! Thank you so much.

    Unfortunately, as far as I understand, this is only a temporary solution.

    Would it make sense to disable Edge updates, or is that a bad idea?

    This functionality is very important to me, and I’d really like to keep it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-28T22:47:24+00:00

    The flag might temporarily appear if you unexpire Edge 137 flags for a few months - check for that option in Edge flags.

    Thank you. But I didn.t get it. How can I do it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-28T21:06:26+00:00

    Hi,
    I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

    Apologies for any inconvenience you are experiencing. I am happy to help you today.

    I wish I had a better answer for you, but it does not seem that an option exists to use the forced color flags. Microsoft has been making a lot of changes lately in the Edge UI space, so I think it might be related to that.

    The flag might temporarily appear if you unexpire Edge 137 flags for a few months - check for that option in Edge flags.

    Also, since this is a user-to-user support forum, please use the ALT+SHIFT+I buttons to report to the Edge Team as well.

    I hope you find this information useful. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate the thread. Wishing you good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments