How to Stop Microsoft Edge from Opening (Popping Up) After Unlocking the Screen - Solution

Anonymous
2023-06-23T17:01:41+00:00

I believe most articles about this are wrong and I had a hard time finding the solution. So, I want to provide this information to others being subjected to viewing a big picture of a big orangutan (or something else) in Microsoft Edge every time they unlock their computer screen.

This was really irritating. Finally found the solution. The problem isn't with Spotlight.

Before trying this fix though, make sure to check if you are seeing the following behavior.

If you are, then this should fix it and get Edge to stop popping up every time you unlock your computer.

  1. While logged on, lock your Windows computer screen. (Win +L)
  2. On the lock screen, hover your mouse over the top left corner of the screen. Does the title of an article appear? Continue to 3 below...
  3. Still on the lock screen, hover your mouse over the very middle of the screen. Does the title of an article appear? Yes? Continue...

If you see this, then this should fix the issue for you.

But first explanation:

These two spots on the lock screen are hyperlinks to articles (...ON THE LOGIN SCREEN!!!!) So, if you click on the middle of the lock screen, (or hit the enter button on your keyboard) to get the login textbox and button to appear, you have also just clicked on a hyperlink to an article that Microsoft thinks you might want to see (in Edge only) right after you login. Mine kept popping up Edge containing an article with a huge picture of an orangutan staring at me every time. Every time I unlocked my screen, there was this big orangutan staring at me.

For some reason my Windows 10 computer had this ridiculous feature enabled from when I got it.

I have no idea why Microsoft would do this to their users and even make a feature like this possible.

Please don't put "Edge" promoting tricks like this into an operating systems lock screen and login screen, especially when the fix is so hard to find.

Here's the fix. (Sorry - I don't know how to do this other than via the registry)

In the registry, go to following:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\
Make sure the following two DWord values are set to 0.

  • SubscribedContent-338388Enabled
  • RotatingLockScreenEnabled

No reboot needed. Stops it immediately.

<Changed to a discussion>

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-23T20:31:32+00:00

    Thank you so much, I had the same problem and it fixed it immediately when I signed back in! What a relief! I was afraid to touch the registry setting and tried everything else before I did this. I even took screen shots and printed the directions just in case I had reset the values! Microsoft needs to stop these annoying settings ASAP!

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T09:40:59+00:00

    Thank you! Just FYI I found SubscribeContent-338389Enabled instead of SubscribeContent-338388.

    This also really annoyed me. I don't want to use Edge but Microsoft really tries to force it on you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments